Old 04-09-2013   #11
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
If you have the new style seat/TP holder, just throw a decent sized rock in there instead of the TP. Couple that with the Groover cover Zach just mentioned and you'll probably be good to go.

Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Bummer story. We use the Gamma Lid bucket toilet. We used to unscrew the lid and put on a seat with each user. Then we mounted a regular toilet seat with lid to a gamma lid, and cut out the center, leaving the threads. The seat is attached at each camp and stays on. We did add some weather stripping to the toilet lid to make a better seal on the seat to keep out pesky bugs. Now I'm wondering if that isn't enough of a barrier? Perhaps we'll have to go back to the old screw on, screw off method? I'm anxious to see this groover hat that Zach speaks of.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #13
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I am disgusted. Especially the comment about"the beetles the size of turds". Sounds like an ideal situation for the PETT system. If I have to carry one more ammo can to accommodate the extra waste while being able to avoid the horror of dung beetles, I'm okay with that.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #14
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Of the 13 posts so far, it really sounds like these shit-eaters-beetles hatched mostly last year. Let's hope that they have a 20 year cycle before their next hatch!
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #15
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Of the 13 posts so far, it really sounds like these shit-eaters-beetles hatched mostly last year. Let's hope that they have a 20 year cycle before their next hatch!
What type of beetle was it?

A Field Guide to the Tiger Beetles of the United States and Canada ... - David L. Pearson Research Professor of Biology Arizona State University, C. Barry Knisley Professor of Biology Randolph-Macon College, Charles J. Kazilek Technical Director W. M

I'm hoping it wasn't the endangered Tiger Beetle.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #16

I had them on the last week of a three week trip in '04. Haven't seen them since. But yeah, they were gross.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #17
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I was on the Snake last June, and had the same beetlemania, but only down below Pittsburgh. They were so numerous and efficient that I assumed they were highly experienced. It was a bit disconcerting to use the groover. We started screwing the lid back on the eco safe between uses. The beetles that got caught in there during the daytime transport all seemed to die off. Plenty to replace them at the next camp, however.

Bill, your picture guide looks pretty close. They were black and orange with that sort of pattern. Never seen anythign like it before.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #18
Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Never saw them before in 15 years on the river.

First time last Summer MF early August. They were first noticed that they had infiltrated at Broken Oar. Multiplied by Fly and terrible at Solitude

This year is definately a rescrew the lid and select a site away from the creepy crawlies. I think at least that could keep them from multiplying. Maybe that and a raid bomb.

Maybe even on a boat!!! Some of those things were turd sized by the time we reached the cleaning station. Disgusting!!!
I found the fact that you had them on the middle fork interesting because I went down last Aug 6-11 and we didn't have any problems with them. And believe me after that lower salmon trip I was on guard about the whole deal. They were definitely down in the lower canyon area of the lower salmon and apparently on the lower canyon of the snake as well.

I initially wondered if I would have put some blue goo in at the beginning if the beetles would still have been attracted to the groover. I think the only thing that would have kept them out would have been to place the lid on the groover everytime. I have the RiverBank system and placing the lid in place would seal them out, you probably wouldn't even have to turn the metal fasteners, just push down and get a decent seal. I did a little research and found that dung beetles prefer the dung of omnivores that enjoy a mixed diet of meat and vegetable matter, in fact they find it irresistible. The beetle is possibly a tiger beetle of some kind. I attached a photo from a scientific study. The beetles I encountered were the black and bright orange ones in the photo. The way scientists were able to capture the beetles was to place omnivorous waste in a bucket and the beetles showed up, go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120413-Dung1Photo-hmed-0330p_files_files.grid-4x2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	5976  
When you spend your life in the rain, you learn to walk between the drops.
6FEETandRISING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #19
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
those are the ones

The black and orange buggers are the ones we had on the lower Snake. We were using Groover Tamer in the Eco Safe, which didn't do anything to discourage them.

Thanks for sharing that photo, by the way. I'm really glad I wasn't eating anything.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #20
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Maybe just don't fight it...leave the blue goo at home and when the beatles are finished eating all the poop, just dump em out and problem solved!

ManGearPig Lives!
LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote