Old 04-21-2015   #11
Meadow Vista, California
Paddling Since: 1997
You have a lot going on. Set your priorities and work from there. Our family and another are setting up to run the San Juan in June. Just started reading the River Otter Handbook for Trip Planning. Amazon - $5 Lots of good info about proper planning, leadership roles, meal planning, logistics. Definite recommend. Good luck.

sunburned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #12
Trinity County, California
Paddling Since: 1982
Family rafting rocks!! I heartily agree with much that's been said, and I have a few additions:

1) The Trinity has enough water to raft all summer (due to an old lawsuit). Anything above 600 cfs, and you can still get splashed, plus there is enough water to miss the more technical challenges. 2,500 and 4,000 cfs are my favorite levels for bouncy, splashy, Class III fun. See the release schedule at:

2) A way to have your kids fall in love with Class III: Find long wave-trains of Class II (deeper, no rocks) and swim them on purpose with your kids on hot days. Make it crazy fun, and if your kids like competing, set prizes for catching eddies, etc. This has two long-term benefits. You will learn A LOT about maneuvering your boat from swimming rapids. Your kids will learn that is is normal and can be totally fun to swim in whitewater. That way, when they do fall out (or you do again), nobody feels freaked out. Said wave trains can be found this year on the SF American, Trinity, Rogue, and likely the Kern (all within 7 hours of you).

At the risk of reiterating, kids love rowing, not paddling. If you like camping, then I highly recommend building/obtaining a frame and some Carlisle oars.
3) A great first multi day trip that's really close to you is the East Fork of the Carson. It likely won't have water this year, but its totally worth doing above 1,000 cfs. Its 10 miles of fast water with some Class II to a GREAT hot spring (camp two nights there), then another 10 miles to the take out. We do it on long weekends from Redding.

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.

dsrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #13
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
My kids love to paddle! My 6 and 4 year olds love to paddle with us, and they do some easy class II and easy class III all summer long. I also agree with everything said so far. Here are a few more things;

There is safety in numbers. Find some more people to boat with, especially people with more experience than you that can teach you. Kayakers are great to paddle with when running paddle rafts. People fall out of paddle rafts way more than rowed rafts. Clubs are great for this!

Train for safety. Learn how to throw a throw bag, first throw and throwing coils. Have your kids do it too. Everyone needs helmets, you might be doing that already, but it needs to be said. Take a swift water rescue class. I've taken 2, and I will take another one next year.

Train yourself a little more. My wife has been boating with me for 18 years, but she looks to me for safety and guidance. You, most of all, should be comfortable with the rivers you are going down. I have inflatable kayaked a lot, rowed a fair amount, and now running paddle rafts has been my final frontier. It is proving to be the most difficult kind of boating I do. Go on your own on some more difficult whitewater without the kiddies.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #14
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
The middle Rogue would be a great trip for your families. There are several campgrounds on the river that range from full services to unimproved. Indian Mary Park has full hook ups. Check out Josephine County Parks. There are several floats you can do. The best will be from Hog Creek to Galice (2.5 to 3 hrs) or you can continue past Galice to Almeda Park (a good place to camp) or further to Grave Creek. That last bit from Almeda to Grave Creek can get tiring if the wind comes up in the late afternoon. Hog Creek to Galice is the best part. It would be exciting but not treacherous at all. It will be runnable all summer. Galice is a great place for lunch or dinner. We love to eat after coming off the river. Usually some form of live entertainment on weekends. If you need anything I would recommend Orange Torpedo Trips in Merlin. You might find yourself a great deal on a frame as well.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #15
Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for all of the info

It sounds like the flows won't be as much of a problem for the summer trip. It is really all about my leg, which my doctor is not too fired up by the idea.
Creetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #16
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
You can always be the shuttle driver.

Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote