Old 07-27-2011   #11
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I just put Trex decking on the side rails of my trailer and am amazed at how easily the boat slides on it compared to the outdoor carpet I had previously.

ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I used green turf from Home Depot. My trailer's top is made of 2x4's and plywood. I used the glue they recommended for adhering it to the top and folded it over, similar to how you'd wrap a present.

Haven't had a problem with the turf and my 14ft. boat w/ frame slides on with easy. No need for rollers either. Also makes for a great place to drink a beer when taking out!

thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #13
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
For a cat, I got a tilt trailer meant for snowmobiles and put strips of outdoor carpet where the tubes slide (get the proper glue) and added a strip of recessed molding at the rear of each strip. Then I mounted a geared winch (about $35) at the front of the tilting bed, using the boltholes for the latch that hold the bed down.

The balance was out-of-whack (notice how far forward the wheels are), so I took it to a trailer shop and they figured out that the dealer had mounted the axle backwards, with the trailing arm facing front. Turning the axle rightways was a great help, too.

Being able to tilt the bed into the water makes loading a one-person job.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off