Old 12-19-2008   #1
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I want to be a raft guide!

Ok, I am a raft guide. I'm looking for summer work before I take off on the big trip (Flaming Gorge-South Cove March-May). I'd like to think about going somewhere new. I've worked on the Ark, Poudre, New, and Gauley primarily. I'm open to suggestions on where to go and who to work for based on the following criterion:

1. Great rafting. Class 4. I'm open to paddle boat jobs with the opportunity to learn some new class V lines too. I'm also open to a job where I can row overnights, as long as there are rapids.

2. Convenient camping all summer, preferably with other guides.

3. Decent pay. This will be my 7th commercial season and I'll need the cash after quitting my real job and rafting for 2 straight months... I'd like to work for a company that will allow me to teach people about the art of tipping.

4. A reasonably long season. I don't want the fun to be over in July. Something with releases maybe? I like the Ark valley in terms of this; Brown's/Gorge for high water, Pine Creek/Numbers for medium water, Gore season after. Maybe I'll go back there, but any other cool places like this?

If you know a good company or river, don't hesitate to make yourself heard. Also if you are an owner of river manager, chime in if you'll be looking for experienced guides. I have a few thousand miles, rescue knowledge and skills, and work like a mule.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #2
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Decent pay as a raft guide That's really funny. The raft company owners in central Colorado are a bunch of nickel dicks who make their guides and guests drive unsafe vehicles to the river. I worked for a several companies for thirteen years. The truth is if you're anything beyond a stupid college student the owners don't want you. I took three pay cuts in two years because my egomaniac owned decided that was ok. If you want to make a decent living on the river I would work for a fly fishing company. My experience is the owners of the fishing guide shops pay better and treat their help better. I am an independent contractor for a corporate giant but work for a cool, cool man and can afford decent beer, not Schlitz.

"without love day to day insanity's king"--Hunter/Garcia
tboe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #3
B.F.E., Wyoming
Fly fishing Bis is way better. You just have to learn how to row for fishing instead of rowing for whitewater.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #4
Lowman, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Idaho rafting you can make a killing. I would suggest the middle fork salmon or the Payette system. The season goes from June all the way to cast and blast trips on the Main salmon in early Oct. Both middle fork and main are both 5-7 day trips. The Payettes are mainly 1 day trips. However, the company I worked for does run 2 day trips. The Payette is definetly more challenging than the Salmon. Especially if you are ballsy enough to try the North Fork.
I have many friends who have made roughly a 1000 in tips on a 5 day trip on the middle fork.
aecrew618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #5
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Well first things first, you mentioned your a raft guide.

Just curious to hear more about your big trip. How did you line up those permits? Motors? Just portaging around dams and whatnot? Sounds epic. NeatO.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #6
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by FLOWTORCH View Post
Just curious to hear more about your big trip. How did you line up those permits? Motors? Just portaging around dams and whatnot? Sounds epic. NeatO.
We're launching below the Flaming Gorge dam on March 20, Lodore 3/23, Deso 4/2, Cat around April 21st, and the Grand Canyon to South Cove on 4/26. There are 3 of us doing the whole thing so far. The rest of our Grand Canyon crew is picking us up at Dirty Devil and driving around the dam. We'll grocery shop and float on the stretch above Lee's the day before we run the Canyon.

The only thing we're not floating is the stretch of river above Flaming Gorge reservoir and the lakes. It should be a pretty good time, close to 800 miles. March 20-May 20 on the river!

Permits are on lockdown so if anyone wants to join us for any or all of it, let me know. There aren't Grand Canyon spots unless you're willing to do the whole thing, super duper cool with huge boobs, and have your own equipment, but Lodore, Deso, and Cataract will have room on the permits. It would be nice to have someone meet us and restock us along the way, say at Deso or Mineral Bottom...

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote