Old 03-06-2013   #11
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Own both. Think folded lip design is better than shoebox. The top lid seems much more rigid too, and it closes with less scraping

Both lids are reinforced to allow stomping on it.

I dont know if either design is more prone to leaks cause i keep my shit right side up

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #12
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I had my DRE drybox for 6 years. Took it back 3 times to have the corners underneath the lid re-welded; they kept cracking.

It was a monster sized box for my 18' Riken, and was good for keeping everything in. After that, though, I'm over the giant drybox concept of rigging, and I'm moving on to hatched drop bags and smaller side boxes. The "coffin" box was too big to keep track of lots of stuff in, was too big to move and load into the boat easily even with 2 people, and frankly, I didn't feel very comfortable knowing that if it got soaked, it was basically all the eggs in one basket.

If I ever do change my mind and get another big drybox, it won't be DRE.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #13
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Go custom too, whatever you choose. You can get 3-6" more inches on each side if you order it the interior width of the boat, and you can shorten it so it won't stick way up above the height of your frame. All the standard boxes are 16" high. 15" and you can keep the whole box, except the lid, below your frame, if you put your butterfly latches on the side corners, instead of in front where the frame bar interferes. You're always gonna have straps over it anyway, so moving those latches won't hurt.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #14
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Does anyone have any experience with the EddyOut dry box that NRS sells? The reviews on NRS's site are positive and it looks solid.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #15
Lawson, Colorado
Just upgraded from a Trib 14' to a 156R last fall. Had a DRE box in the Trib for 6 seasons no problems.

Nothing against DRE, but did some research went with Todd at Aluminum Dry Boxes, Raft Frames, Custom Welding, Metal Fabrication | Mad Cow Metal Works

Got my main box and 2 captains...these are far superior quality for the same $$. Check it out.
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #16
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I hear a lot of talk about "solid," "leak," "seal", "lid" but if you don't plan to be upside down in your raft most of the time focus more on size. Most of them are made with similar strength alumi, they may have different lid designs, and they usually don't take on water from splash and thus, are called dryboxes. In a big hairy flip or wrap situation, though, they're not Pelican cases - - they can and do leak. Over time you'll find that size and how it fits on your boat become the main focus, IMO. I ran for years, commercially, with dryboxes made from plywood. Not as good as alumi, but they functioned and kept most water out. 90% of the purpose of a so-called "drybox" is having a large storage area to put things in without a lot of straps necessary, and if it keeps rain, splash and waves at bay while boating, all the better. The rest is fluff.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #17
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I have one from Cambridge (almost 15 years old).

It is a kitchen box that has tables that attached to both sides. I have yet to see one like it since 9it was a wedding present and obviously custom). The side tables are so useful and stow away together in a perfect small assembly that holds the legs also. tables are about 36" x 10".
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #18
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
BCJ- it sounds like you have a flip a-coming with a dry-goods food laden raft!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #19
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
I hate to say it- but don't get a Frontierplay box (I know that they are a sponsor, but.....) They warrantied the first box (thanks for that) but both the first and second (replacement box) failed on their first use. Bummer!
fancyplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #20
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by BryanS. View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the EddyOut dry box that NRS sells? The reviews on NRS's site are positive and it looks solid.
I have an Eddy Out box. I picked it up from NRS last year. I have also had a Recretec custom made on my old boat. Both were high quality and similar in build and design and airtight. I learned the hard way when I closed it up at the takeout on a hot day and drove home and had a hard time opening it when I got back to sea level and Portland temps.

it is worth asking about custom sizes, I think the Recretec only cost a few bucks more to go custom.

Ditto on Frontier Play boxes. If you need a box and you need it cheap then go for it, but I found issues with the latches and the hinges.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote