Old 06-14-2013   #11
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hijacked thread... HAHA just kidding, the extra responses boosted it back to the top of the home portal deal so its all good.

Thanks for your input too on NRS. I feel similar, that maybe hyside has nicer longevity, even if NRS are tougher... Maybe I am making that up, but the handles and little round rubber pads on the bottom of NRS E series always seem to be breaking and peeling off, simple fix though, the actual construction of an NRS e series is bomb proof from what I have seen, they simply never leak even if they look like they should be put to rest.... The handle situation is redic though, that easy carry handle they have is no easier to carry than a normal webbing handle, and the stupid plastic pipe inside the webbing is cutting through every handle I have ever seen. Handles are cheap to replace, replace with standard webbing I would say.

Anyway, that's a known issue though, more concerned with the bottom of the boat, does NRS actually have more protection down there or not?

More opinions would be great! Sorry to leave all you other brand people out, but I am a hapalon guy, no PVC boats for me, its really only NRS or Hyside that interest me, if outfitters trust them to be on the river every day getting trashed by rookie guides and 10 loads of Texans(sorry gross overgeneralization) then it will be good enough for me and the next 30 years hopefully!

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Don't know too much about the hysides - but my 2011 14' NRS E series, that I unfortunately just sold, was very, very well made and had no issues whatsoever. The 10 year warranty was reassuring as well..

RockyMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #13
The Fort, Colorado
Why did you sell it? And do you mind me asking what you got for it?
P the K
Old 06-14-2013   #14
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I sold her because I have a two year old now, and the boat was spending too much time on dry land getting 303'd - she needed to get on the river more. When you love something, set it free right? Price was very fair for me and the buyer - was a package with trailer deal..

- Fear not, I replaced it with a 14' SOAR canoe that is way more portable so I can get out for quick jaunts instead of the 7+ hours it seems to always eat up with a 14' raft, even on the most efficient local day trips, leaving wife disgruntled since we are not into having him on the boat yet and I am of no help when on the river, or even when I get back half the time due to beer, leaving wife downright ornery. I do plan to move back into a 14' boat when my boy is a little older, when we can all enjoy it on a regular basis as a family unit..

Speaking to the original question, the boat looked near showroom condition when I polished it up to sell - every seam, d-ring and handle, even the bottom - granted I 303'd the heck out of her like I said, and she sat around a lot lately, but nothing was coming apart, wearing out or getting weird, and I did abuse it a few times and it did see some miles..
RockyMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #15
Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
Both great boats; both tough as nails, and both will last a looooooong time if well taken care of

I will say, I seem to see a lot of older Hysides on the river that still look like they're just hittiing their prime
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #16
Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Floor Bottom Difference

Paul The Kayaker, to answer your question about the differences between NRS and HYSIDEs floor bottom protection...the old school way of thinking was to glue fabric layers to the boat bottom, in order to beef it up and prevent against wear. Our older Hysides used to have "gum rubber" on the bottom to prevent wear. This is what NRS still uses today and it works well. We learned years ago that it had its limitations.

We chose urethane as the bottom coating because it was lighter, had better abrasion resistance and could be applied to the specific areas that wear the most. Urethane is great when applied to a cured surface (Hypalon) as you'll get the durability/longevity of the cured material and urethane provides the slick, durable, long lasting abrasion resistance for the bottom. You get the best of both worlds.

Our standard Urethane application prevents wear for 99% of private boaters and commercial outfitter uses and we can add urethane to specific areas when requested. Some outfits need the entire boat bottom urethaned because of their specific conditions, but most don't, it's just not necessary. It's just a newer technology we chose in order to lighten our boats and provide a more abrasion resistant, longer lasting, slicker coating to the boat bottom's wear areas.

Hope that helps!
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #17
The Fort, Colorado
Thanks for the responses everyone, and thanks for the direct response from Hyside. That's what I was hoping to hear. I know they are both great boats, just wanted to hear about the bottom coatings since I know they are different. Now to outfit one... Can't wait!
P the K
Old 06-17-2013   #18
Denver, Colorado
I've had three hysides (14.3 pro '96, 2003 13.0 outfitter, and a mini max) inow have a '09 13.6 nrs e series.

Here's my thoughts. Both companies are top notch hypalon boats. Hysides have a decidedly more handmade look- the seams vary from one inch wide to three inches wide and are rarely straight. There are lots of little inconsequential defects etc on the hysides compared to an NRS in terms of construction. However I have never seen anything fail due to these little imperfections but prefer not to see them. He NRS looks like a robot cut and assembled the thing. Can't find an imperfection anywhere.

My NRS is a heavy beast tho. 140# compared to about 100 for the Hyside outfitter. The pro is closer in weight and durablity to the e series. Would like the construction of NRS with the weight of Hyside. Really all are great boats.

Ps the urethane on my mini max peeled quite a bit but it stuck on he bottom where you need it.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #19
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
maybe I'm late to the party here? Who won?

Actually piglet's post above woke me up - I thought that the hyside looked less than perfect in the construction, but have been abusing my new m-max pretty hard so far this year and have had no problems. I hope it lasts as long as my 15+(??) year old E 140 which gets 4-6 weeks of use each year and is showing no sign of slowing down. Yeah the rubber boats are heavy but they roll (up) nicely. I had a very old hyside (14') with the old military valves prior to the nrs, but sold it after it started to wear out... I only had it for a year or two but it was an old commercial boat somewhere in CA. The only thing on the NRS boat I would have rather had was a lace in floor.....
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #20
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Probably late to this as well, but I two own one of each - 14 foot NRS Otter (the wider version) and a Mini-Max.

I love them both, and dislike a couple of things on each.

I don't like that my NRS has only three chambers plus the floor. I hope it never comes into play, but I'd prefer to have had 4. I also wish it had handles on the front and back of the boat. However, I have no issues with the handles themselves like others have mentioned, just would like to see one on each end, not just the 4 on the sides.

I do not like the thwart system in the Hyside. I find the pins much harder to get in and out than the things the NRS uses, and they are easier to lose the pins and rings that the NRS flat bars. The one good thing about that system though is that those hard plastic hinges for the Hyside thwarts are in the perfect place to keep my dry box and cooler from rubbing when I put the frame on it! LOL

I would buy another of either brand of boat in a heartbeat. Both are great boats.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote