Hudson River Gorge - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2016   #1

Orangeburg, New York
Paddling Since: 1995
Hudson River Gorge

Hi All,
I am looking for someone or a few folks who know the lines on the gorge to raft it with me. I was a guide down south and recently moved back north for work and purchased my own NRS Outlaw 130 to carry on. I kayaked the northeast many moons ago but looking to learn the lines for a raft and have some fun. I'm happy to R2 or let you guide the boat.
Rich

rskvorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016   #2
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Watch for sleepers and go for it. Camp at the falls on River left after the confluence and before the first rapid.
Old 06-14-2016   #3

Adirondacks, New York
Paddling Since: 1983
Planning on doing a 2 nighter (1 night at putin and 1 at the Confluence) this fall, late Sept or early Oct if you're interested in tagging along. I'll be running my Super Puma w/ frame and there may or may not be a kayaker or 2.
DAzlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016   #4

Orangeburg, New York
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAzlim View Post
Planning on doing a 2 nighter (1 night at putin and 1 at the Confluence) this fall, late Sept or early Oct if you're interested in tagging along. I'll be running my Super Puma w/ frame and there may or may not be a kayaker or 2.
That sounds great! I have a frame as well and thought this would be a great overnighter trip in New York. I will definitely keep this in mind for the fall. Still trying to get on it soon. Looks like it will be one of my new home rivers.
rskvorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #5

Adirondacks, New York
Fall Float???

Our trip is planned for late September (23-25). We planned on launching from Newcomb on the morning of the 24th, but with this "drought" we're not sure if we're gonna have enough water (need 3.5 or better on the Newcomb gauge). If your in let me know and we can coordinate details (shuttle etc.) As it stands. it'll be just 1 raft w/ 2 peeps (Super Puma w/ frame), no kayaks as previously thought. If there is not enough volume from Newcomb, we'll still be floating but just the commercial route from the Indian etc.
Old 08-29-2016   #6

Howdy!

You might have more luck getting responses on these message boards. The folks on there are closer and run it regularly.

F.L.O.W. message board - - Index

Forum - Northeast Paddlers Message Board 3.0

3.5 ft at Newcomb is only around 750 cfs. That makes for a mighty slow river. I like to see it closer to 1000 myself. You should make it either way though. There isn't much of an eddy at the Cedar confluence, so be on river right and ready for it when it comes.

I hope this helps....

Terry
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #7

Adirondacks, New York
Thanks for the info Terry. I've seen your Cedar trip report too, nice job. I think it was on the F.L.O.W. message board a while back. Hoping we get a little rain before launch, but we've had a pretty darn dry summer thus far.
Old 08-29-2016   #8

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
You can try Zoar Valley Paddling Club here in Buffalo, too! Those guys drive all over. I've run the Hudson gorge in a paddle boat. It was mostly read n run, fast and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #9

Adirondacks, New York
Thanks for the info amv48.