Old 04-22-2015   #21
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would be more concerned about only 9 days for the Grand Canyon. It seems ridiculously fast for a raft trip. Why not take time and enjoy it?

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #22
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I used to think about how much booze I wanted and then triple it. One time down I had a lady offer me $100 for a 12 pack, no joke. The 9 days takes the triple out of the equation. You gonna be tired id pack more protein and carbs, and HDL fats.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #23
Pieter Porcupine
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Nothing like a cold beer on the river. Nothing worse than seeing your buddy crack open a cold one while you are drinking lemon flavored water.

I agree with the 1:1 beer to river mile ratio. Better to have and not need . . .
The larger the river of knowledge the longer the shoreline of wonder.
MountainmanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #24
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Don't forget some bitch beer. A mango mikes hard lemonade when you have 120F up canyon wind will bring joyful tears to your eyes...
I probably couldn't disagree more
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #25
Vail, Colorado
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Eliminate regular food. Bring some Ensure or Instant breakfast. With no kitchen and no food in the coolers you can drink all day every day.
I love this plan! Gonna try it out in August! Only two rafts for 208 Idaho miles when space for beer will trump space for full kitchen and space in cooler for cold beer will trump space in cooler for food that needs chilled!

Also I like to plan for 10-15 beers per day as you will be drinking ALL day depending on if you have a boat mate up front feeding you beers in between strokes and keeping the soft cooler stocked, locked, and ready to rock ALL day long! Fewer if you are rowing a rig alone but I also completely agree with Sleepless from earlier, make sure to bring something for those rough mornings. When you roll out of your tent after having a 24 pack to the face the day before and not even water sounds good, you will be amazed what a twisted tea or a mikes hard will do to get your next day of beer drinking kicked off on the right foot!

Have fun, super jealous.
RichardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #26
Denver, Colorado
Generally the formula is this

B = A * D * (M+(F^1.25))
JC5921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #27
Paddling Since: 1994
FWIW, I drank more on my 12 day that I have on any of my other trips (16-25 days). There wont be time for a lot of hiking. Pretty much row and drink all day then get to camp, set up, cook and drink till bed. I think a lot of it was drowning sorrows for all the amazing hikes we were passing by. 9 days is gonna be a real push rowing an 18'er. We launched by 9 everyday and cooked in the dark all but three days on my mid may 12 day. Hopefully some of the kayakers will hop on the raft to spell you while you drink. The other thing to think of is podding end to end with another raft. The momentum you can build is sweet and one guy can have a sip and the rig keeps moving and keeps straight. I would pod with another boat on the flatter days and we were always way out front and gaining. Rig and leave loop buckles on your corners and podding/ de podding takes seconds and doesnt leave anyone with long straps tailing in the water. The other thing you can do is rig harnesses on the kayakers and set them up to pull while you drink!! Dangle a beer in front of them and theyll paddle like hell.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #28
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
We lost quite a few to the river rub on our trip- close to 5%. Most beer was duck taped in the case and then in canvas bags and such. But that was 21 days. 10 cases for me and I ran out.
I did have three days when I drank nothing but beer because someone poisoned the water with so much bleach as to make it undrinkable. Make sure whoever is doing the water treatment knows what the hell they are doing.

Now I am gluten free ( and don't tell me it's a fucking fad as i wold love it if it was) and a Hard Mike's sounds pretty good. There are good GF beers, they just don't come in cans. I mostly miss my Guinness per day as the transitional beverage from coffee to beer in the morning. Perfect to rig with.

Now I drink whiskey all day, every day. it works.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #29
Parks, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
A 30 pack a day will keep that problem away!

My wife and I usually bring around 12 30 packs and 4 or 5 handles for a 16 day trip.
The simply orange oj or lemonade jugs work great for hard liquor!
Codylee1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #30
And we wonder why some people think boaters have a drinking problem?

My personal practice is to bring less volume and more quality.
Craft beers work better at GC refrigeration temperatures than PBR.
Would much rather have one GOOD beer than two warm cheap beers.
I also found that too much beer reduces my hiking time and motivation.

Once while taking a bath/swim at a big beach just upriver from Deer Creek,
I looked over at my beer bag in the water next to my boat.
I realized my bath water and my beer were the exact same temperature AND
I had never been happier in my life. Life is sure strange at times!

Hydrate or Die

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote