Old 07-09-2013   #1
Boise, Idaho
How low would you go? Deso

Never been down Deso Canyon, have a July 26th launch, flows were 1700 at the Green River gauge. We are floating 3 15-16ft loaded rafts down with kids. Is there a certain level where the river becomes more work than enjoyment, especially with loaded rafts.

myemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
you are good to go we went last year in august I think it was 1000 or so.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #3
Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
Been there down to 1500ish; not a ton of water, but definately still enough to make it worth your while

Though, you'll have a long first couple days grinding miles if the wind picks up

Whitewater-wise: nothing should be real big, or too technical

Should be fun with the kiddos
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
I have been down it at 1000, but we had two motors along. It made the difference between lots of work and lots of fun. I would highly recommend taking one.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
I ran it one year at about 700 cfs. It was very slow. Above 1500 is much better.
DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #6
park city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I have been down at 1200 with a group of 14ft rafts and catarafts. No issues grinding on the bottom or getting stuck up. First days will be long if you don't have a motor.
skizer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #7
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Sans motor you're going to want to get on early and camp early. Those Deso winds can be a major fun squash.

It's gonna be hot, it's gonna be buggy, and you're gonna love it!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #8
Montrose, Colorado
The loaded rafts can be a bit of a bummer. There are a number of riffles that spread the flow and you have to be sure to hit them right. For many, it is toward the bank where they are deepest. My boat was fairly heavily loaded with water and food making it so I hung up where most others floated on.
While many of the rapids are much less dangerous at low water, plan on working on your moves to dodge rocks. Joe Hutch for example is very straightforward through the first section, but just when you think you are done you will have to dodge a number of rocks in the flatter parts. Put it in 4WD and go!
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I did it at 1700-1900 several times and it's ok. Swasey and Florence Creek are a bit rocky. Ditto advice - get on the river early and make miles before the wind comes up. Keep a keen eye on your line. I ran it in 2002 at 675...that was a trial. Stuck solid in Log Cabin for 30 mins.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #10
Salida, Colorado
You'll be fine with those boats. Take as many days as you can, 7 or 8 would be cushy and heed the advice regarding the wind. Aim to do most of your miles early in the day and camp early and everyone will be happier.

I just took off on Thurs (July 11) with 2 16' and 1 15' and we didn't have any trouble.

Good news - no mosquitos! There were quite a few deer flies though.

Also the construction on the drive down to Sand Wash is still going on, although for some reason they have removed the detour signs that were there earlier this spring - so you may want to ask for specific directions at the last gas station (the gals behind the counter can help you) to avoid frustration.

watersarah is offline   Reply With Quote