Old 05-17-2014   #11
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
As has been said, you could spend a lifetime on the river trying to explore every nook and cranny and not see it all. Every little drainage offers some major hike, or fifteen minute side trip up an obscure game trail to a view you would not have believed. Grab a guide book or three (there are many) and plan on coming back to take a swing at a few of the things ya missed

sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #12
Flagstaff, Arizona
Thank you for the kind mention of the Day Hikes book. Good question someone already asked is “What time of year are you talking?”

A few days ago I was getting some foam oar grips at Wet Dreams (Great river supply store here in Flagstaff by the by) and Jason Hughes asked me “Any cool new hikes?” And I said “YES!” Here’s what I told him: We were heading to 220 Mile to camp this last April 22 and I tied up my boat at the big beach at 216.9 Mile river right (Mileage per Martin Whitis Guide), then hopped on another of our trips’ rafts and floated with them through 217 Mile Rapid and on down to just above Trail Canyon Rapid. Our crew was heading to 220 to camp. I got out and hiked right up along a ramp of broken Tapeats Sandstone, following the faint signs of a constructed stock trail, to the top of the Tapeats. I then headed upriver on the Tapeats top, following a old burro trail or miners trail (or both). The walking was flat and the views stunning as I followed the cliff top. There was a great view of 217 Mile rapid. I eventually saw my little boat, and found an easy route down off the Tapeats to the sandy beach by the boat. It took about an hour and a half to two hours and I took a lot of photos. The float down to 220 was uneventful.

Have fun out there! Yours, tom

Tom Martin
PO Box 30821
Flagstaff, AZ 86003-0821
Hm: 928-556-0742
Mobile: 928-856-9065
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google Earth 3 springs to trail canyon pc.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	635.6 KB
ID:	8369  

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #13
Parashant canyon a definite layover hike favorite. Get Martins day hike book, spot on with directions and difficulty rating.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #14
Kanab is not to be missed.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #15
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tabernacle if spring or fall trip. Will likely be very hot in summer time. Catch trail from rattlesnake camp rr.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #16
The diving board is spectacular it is like 3 river miles above the Nankoweap camp, which is another incredible hike.

tew is offline   Reply With Quote