Hells Canyon High Flow Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Hells Canyon High Flow Beta

I've only boated Hells during 9,000 CFS middle September Flows. Its in the 50 and 60K levels now. I am planning to run it in one day next weekend with my friend. I wanted to bring my 14 and 15 year old kids and let them pilot their own boat. I watched a video of someone doing it last week and a lot of the bigger rapids like wild sheep and granite looked washed out, like big wave trains. Has anyone done Hells at high flow? What are the big rapids like, class 3 or class 4? easier at higher flow or harder?
https://youtu.be/FdZzdhLC39Q

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Meridian, Idaho
Its pretty big pushy water for a young boater. I let my 15 yo son row it in a cat last year at 60k but we had a good sized group of experienced boaters. I have always contended that 35-45k is where the real fun and trouble is.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

BOISE, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1985
Ran it once around 75K CFS. The rapids didn't look a lot different than than they do at 30K CFS. The big difference is the edge fences are big enough to keep the elk in, and the water boils that come out of nowhere, are plenty big enough to knock you off your boat, if you are not playing attention.

On the other hand, the Green Room becomes one of the best natural water slides in the Northwest, and you can 'day trip' the deepest canyon in North America.

Good Luck and have fun.
IDRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRAFTER View Post
Ran it once around 75K CFS. The rapids didn't look a lot different than than they do at 30K CFS. The big difference is the edge fences are big enough to keep the elk in, and the water boils that come out of nowhere, are plenty big enough to knock you off your boat, if you are not playing attention.

On the other hand, the Green Room becomes one of the best natural water slides in the Northwest, and you can 'day trip' the deepest canyon in North America.

Good Luck and have fun.

Thanks for the beta. That is our goal to do it in one day. Although, I did have a question about the green room. Does that mean your line goes through the green room?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

BOISE, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1985
It's been several years since I ran Hell's Canyon at this high of flow, if you experience something different please let me know.

The traditional Green Room is a hole that opens up enough to run boats through without the recirculating wave to flip your vessel. The Green Room opens somewhere around 20-25K, I'm not certain the exact flow, but at 50K plus you won't recognize what was the Green Room.

I'm not sure I can explain it correctly, but at higher flows, Granite Creek Rapid moves down river about a 100 yds, and become a constriction rapid, instead of a rock in the river (that forms the Green Room) rapid. If you have ever scouted Granite at lower flows, from RR, the first wave you encounter will be past that scouting point. After you take an exhilarating ride over what was the Green Room, you'll run into a short serious of 15 - 20 ft waves. It's not a wave train, as they will come at you from all directions. At this point you can probably drop you oars and just hang on, but it's always nice to be in control and turn into the next impending wave peak. As I said, it's pretty short, maybe 6-7 waves and as always, Granite has a great recovery pool, in the event you need to swim back to your boat, or rescue someone else's boat.

Sheep Creek was washed out, enter just left of center, working right and you might not even get wet. You won't have to pick an entrance slot as all the rocks are under water.

The rest of the rapid are according to the book and you can read and run all of them.
IDRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Nampa, Idaho
Thanks!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Hells Canyon High Flow Beta

Good video that illustrates the green room that he mentioned above:
https://youtu.be/J4dLEb5nibM