harassment in numbers - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2016   #1

colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
harassment in numbers

Has anyone else had a problem with a River Runners guide harassing private boaters? I running numbers last week behind a group from River Runners and one of the guides, in a white helmet with long dark hair, stopped and surfed a hole in a rapid right in front of my boat. I got past him and when he passed me he rammed my boat. I thought it was just a fluke, but then he did the same thing again and this time rammed me into a rock in a rapid. Any idea what is going on?

lindscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016   #2
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Following too close is a pet peeve of mine

If I hit someone from the rear, I figure I'm following too close. Of course, if you allowed ample space between you two, then he decided to surf and there was no way to avoid him, then it's a different matter. Being a pro guide, he knows where the surfing waves are and he should have let you go first.
Old 07-21-2016   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
The Numbers is a tight run. If you are following so close that you can't eddy out to allow someone to stop and surf a hole then you are too close. I know a lot of the River Runner peeps. Quality organization. Contact them.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I certainly wouldn't call that harassment....

This kind of thing happens on the Ark. It is congested this time of year and people start to get attitudes. Sounds like he thought you were following too close, and if you couldn't avoid him when he stopped to surf then you probably were.

I had an incident with commercials in Browns over the weekend that really rubbed me the wrong way, but after relaxing and rethinking the situation it wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 07-21-2016   #5

All over, Colorado
Yes many people have had problems with River Runners, but as you'll soon learn, you're gonna get the shit flamed out of you for saying anything. There seems to be a line of locals in that area waiting to rub the guides off, I don't get it. Long dark haired skinny guy too.
shannon s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon s View Post
Yes many people have had problems with River Runners, but as you'll soon learn, you're gonna get the shit flamed out of you for saying anything. There seems to be a line of locals in that area waiting to rub the guides off, I don't get it. Long dark haired skinny guy too.
Cute use of language. But, if there is a long line of locals willing to support a local company, maybe that should tell you something about the quality of the company. The OP should contact the company.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #7
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Raft guides are beaters with minimal control of their craft.

Whiners who plead their case on the internet, instead of in person, are equally culpable beaters.

The numbros is perfect for splatwheel freestyle assault right now. Learn to catch an eddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #8
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
It is always best to stay away from commercial trips regardless of run, craft or river level. This is not always possible. of course.

Mr. RR, however, probably runs the river everyday. He will catch the next wave he comes upon. His response to ram you, twice, shows immaturity and poor impulse control. However, you, OP, could have soothed things by apologizing, catch the nearest eddy and wait until he is gone to peel out.

This is supposed to be fun.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #9

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Maybe that guide thought you were cute and was tyring to get a better look at you.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
He's a long-time professional river runner trying to show his guests a good time. You sound like a Front Range weekend gaper that can't respect the traffic downstream of you. He has 10,000 miles of experience. You have 100. His guests pay for the toilet you use before you launch, the rails you slide your boat down, and the rangers that save you when you gape out in number five. So his boat bumped you. You were probably hacking your way down and didn't have the courtesy to let him play through.

I interact with River Runners every day. I experience top notch, professional, polite river guides every time. Maybe you should try Brown's Canyon on a weekday evening.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote