harassment in numbers - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2016   #51

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
If you think raft guides can be surly, try sharing the water with lobstermen sometime-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Haha!!! Having lived on the coast of Maine for 37 years I can appreciate this comment. If we Ark boaters protected our turf the way lobstermen have at times then we'd shooting, or at least slashing front range gaper's boats, when they even launched on "our" rio. Thankfully, ours is a shared passion with a strong sense of community. Oh yeah, and more than one sea kayaker has gotten way too close and personal with a lobster boat.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016   #52

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Two boaters are standing in a long line at the Pearly Gates. After a while they see a raft guide walk right up to the front of the line, say a few words to St Peter and walk on into Heaven. When the boaters finally get up to the front of the line they ask why a commercial raft guide got to cut the line. St Peter replies “Oh that was God. He just thinks he is a raft guide.”
This reminds me of a time at the local park and play spot where a raft company decided they wanted to surf, with 5-10 private boats in line. About 3-5 rafts in a row jumped in the surf without waiting, with the last boat going in 5 times in a row, without letting anyone else surf.

I don't really know how many raft guides are this disrespectful, but when you see hundreds of rafts pass you on a river day, it doesn't take a high percentage to give you a bad attitude towards them.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #53

Fort Collins
This conversation of Right-of-Way reminded me of a couple of pertinent clips:

The 1st one: how to get those pesky kayakers out of your way:
https://youtu.be/S9z7UTj4uYY

The 2nd, Tim Fitzhighams crossing of the English Channel in a Bathtub, and the Right-of Way issues he ran into.
https://themoth.org/stories/all-at-sea
Old 07-23-2016   #54

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Just a thought...

Upstream traffic moving downstream has the right of way over traffic moving upstream or stationary. However, the upstream traffic has a bound duty to avoid collision with the traffic they are overtaking or that is stationary. Conversely, the traffic that is either moving upstream or is stationary should exercise moving out of the way of the oncoming traffic.

So there is a responsibility on both parties. Manners and etiquette should lend itself to courteous behavior...
Old 07-23-2016   #55

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Haha!!! Having lived on the coast of Maine for 37 years I can appreciate this comment. If we Ark boaters protected our turf the way lobstermen have at times then we'd shooting, or at least slashing front range gaper's boats, when they even launched on "our" rio. Thankfully, ours is a shared passion with a strong sense of community. Oh yeah, and more than one sea kayaker has gotten way too close and personal with a lobster boat.
They practically give kayakers roses compared to how they treat scuba divers~

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #56

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
They practically give kayakers roses compared to how they treat scuba divers~

Where were you diving?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #57

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I grew up on the coast of NH- dove everywhere before I got spoiled by trips to the tropics

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #58

Bellvue, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
He's a long-time professional river runner trying to show his guests a good time. You sound like a Front Range weekend gaper that can't respect the traffic downstream of you. He has 10,000 miles of experience. You have 100. His guests pay for the toilet you use before you launch, the rails you slide your boat down, and the rangers that save you when you gape out in number five. So his boat bumped you. You were probably hacking your way down and didn't have the courtesy to let him play through.

I interact with River Runners every day. I experience top notch, professional, polite river guides every time. Maybe you should try Brown's Canyon on a weekday evening.
Good old randaddy, being a typical holier than thou douche.
Spaceghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #59

Denver, Colorado
I think I'm most amused by the ark valley boaters talking about "front range gapers" and then speaking of running "the gnar" in numbers...

LOL please continue.
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #60
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_bjread;440577

The 1st one: how to get those pesky kayakers out of your way:
[URL
https://youtu.be/S9z7UTj4uYY[/URL]

HAHAHA!!
That was a really dick move- but it kinda looked like a fun ride for the kayaker!!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote