harassment in numbers - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2016   #31
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I do have to say Phil, that Randaddy's statement below, personifies the attitude being described by Bucketboater. It's certainly not fair to assume all commercials have this attitude, but my experience over the last 11 years has been that pretty close to the majority look down on private boaters as a nuisance, just distractions from pushing their trip through faster so they can get back to the office and take another trip out.....and that they deserve first and exclusive use of AHRA facilities since their commercial fees pay a larger portion of the AHRA's budget than private fees do...
I'm a private boater too, and I love helping, and paddling with, everyone who comes to enjoy the river. When someone goes online to trash a professional because they weren't in control of their own boat they deserve to be called out. The anti-commercial sentiment sometimes needs a more balanced viewpoint on here. Sorry if it read like it's our river first - but the contributions of the outfitters on the Ark are substantial. I give room to private boaters that surf in front of my trips all the time.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #32

Some guides are skilled and considerate, some are beaters and assholes. Same goes for private boaters. Sometimes a guide/boater who is normally a nice guy acts like an asshole one day for whatever reason. It's just people. (Randaddy is always a beater)

I don't want to excuse anything, but at the end of the day these guys are at work. They've probably worked 20 days in a row at this point in the season. They're tired and grumpy and are annoyed that a private boater is between them and beers back at the shop. It's a shitty thing to do but it happens.

You can't control assholes, but they're an easy problem to solve on the river. Eddy out and wait for five minutes, and you wont see them again for the rest of the day.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #33

Alma, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My name is Josh. I work at River Runners. I have long hair and a white helmet. Please stop by our fisherman's bridge location if you would like to discuss this further. I am approachable and will treat you with respect. I am just not one for writing on forums. Please stop by, I will buy you a drink at our bar.
live2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #34
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Two boaters are standing in a long line at the Pearly Gates. After a while they see a raft guide walk right up to the front of the line, say a few words to St Peter and walk on into Heaven. When the boaters finally get up to the front of the line they ask why a commercial raft guide got to cut the line. St Peter replies “Oh that was God. He just thinks he is a raft guide.”
Old 07-22-2016   #35

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I'm a private boater too, and I love helping, and paddling with, everyone who comes to enjoy the river. When someone goes online to trash a professional because they weren't in control of their own boat they deserve to be called out. The anti-commercial sentiment sometimes needs a more balanced viewpoint on here. Sorry if it read like it's our river first - but the contributions of the outfitters on the Ark are substantial. I give room to private boaters that surf in front of my trips all the time.
Thanks for that clarification.

I think it's important that we (privates and commercials) communicate about any issues that arise because we need to maintain a unified voice as river enthusiasts. Particularly when management and conservation is being discussed.

Things as little as making eye contact and a smile can go a long way to making a congested river run a fun and social experience.
Old 07-22-2016   #36
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
Good for you Josh. Hope you get to meet and hash out whatever happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2boat View Post
My name is Josh. I work at River Runners. I have long hair and a white helmet. Please stop by our fisherman's bridge location if you would like to discuss this further. I am approachable and will treat you with respect. I am just not one for writing on forums. Please stop by, I will buy you a drink at our bar.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #37

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
If you think raft guides can be surly, try sharing the water with lobstermen sometime-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #38

colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Get your facts right. That was Shannon s. I have never posted about missing an eddy in a kayak.

Did I hit a nerve?
lindscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #39

colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Also, I find almost all of the guides and privates I meet on the river to be thoughtful and helpful. I have been bumped and pushed before by other boats and have not thought a thing about it. This incident went beyond that and I was curious if it was a pattern. Glad it does not seem to be. I sent a private message to Josh and we can hash it out, although I am not sure he is the guide as he never said so.

As always, interesting replies.
lindscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #40

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindscp View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with a River Runners guide harassing private boaters? ...

.... Any idea what is going on?

Sorry to hear,

There are always two sides to every story. As mentioned above your should "always be able to eddy out above the craft in front of you if they are not in your party!!!"

But someone can't just hang in the wave until the sun sets either. Or dilly dally holding up traffic. Large groups tend to slow things up.

I think the lesson here is to be mindful of traffic both up stream and down. Be courteous. Also talking goes along way. Its hard getting around a large group.

The more ya go the better strategies you get to mange these situation.

Good luck.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote