harassment in numbers - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2016   #21

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
The problem with commercials is they operate with a river law mentality instead of river etiquette. If you have upstream traffic private or comercial you should skip the surf spots. Just because you have payload doesn't make you a priority. The majority of times outfitters bomb down and part the rivers like Moses. I treat profit boaters like everyone else. Let them pass when you can and give them space.
A sweeping generalization and condemnation of an entire part of the boating community. It makes your point(s) worthless and most certainly doesn't represent my experience of all commercials on the Ark.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016   #22

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2
Commercial launch for numbers are 930 and 1230. There is a giant window in between and after to avoid the trips. Be smart.. ps quit your whining on here about how a commercial boat got in your way. Pull over drink a beer and relax.
skinnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #23

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon s View Post
Yes many people have had problems with River Runners, but as you'll soon learn, you're gonna get the shit flamed out of you for saying anything. There seems to be a line of locals in that area waiting to rub the guides off, I don't get it. Long dark haired skinny guy too.
Lol almost forgot about your post from last year. U couldn't catch an eddy in a kayak and blamed a rafting company for your lack of boat control. Best post ever!!
skinnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #24

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
A sweeping generalization and condemnation of an entire part of the boating community. It makes your point(s) worthless and most certainly doesn't represent my experience of all commercials on the Ark.
Generalizations are generally true. I have been rafting for over 20 years and guided off and on for ten. Never met a guide who didn't think he owned the river or the take out. Do some research, there's hundreds of threads about this topic.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #25

BV, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Generalizations are generally true. I have been rafting for over 20 years and guided off and on for ten. Never met a guide who didn't think he owned the river or the take out. Do some research, there's hundreds of threads about this topic.
Hah. Own your perception/projection. "Never met a guide who didn't think he owned the river or take out." Children and people who lack nuance in their thinking and observations use words like never and always. And you don't have anymore time on the Rio than me. Of that you can be sure. I don't need to read to know river culture. I've boated on 4 continents and have met or made a friend at almost every put in I've used. The river is a sacred place. Bring that attitude and you're likely to have a better experience of the Rio and your fellow boaters.
Old 07-22-2016   #26

Eugene, Oregon
Dude hit you twice? Sounds like he is the dick running too close.
Old 07-22-2016   #27

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
I do have to say Phil, that Randaddy's statement below, personifies the attitude being described by Bucketboater. It's certainly not fair to assume all commercials have this attitude, but my experience over the last 11 years has been that pretty close to the majority look down on private boaters as a nuisance, just distractions from pushing their trip through faster so they can get back to the office and take another trip out.....and that they deserve first and exclusive use of AHRA facilities since their commercial fees pay a larger portion of the AHRA's budget than private fees do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
His guests pay for the toilet you use before you launch, the rails you slide your boat down, and the rangers that save you when you gape out in number five.
Old 07-22-2016   #28

BV, Colorado
Yield to those who are surfing, it be more noble that whatever it is you are doing.
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #29

BV, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I do have to say Phil, that Randaddy's statement below, personifies the attitude being described by Bucketboater. It's certainly not fair to assume all commercials have this attitude, but my experience over the last 11 years has been that pretty close to the majority look down on private boaters as a nuisance, just distractions from pushing their trip through faster so they can get back to the office and take another trip out.....and that they deserve first and exclusive use of AHRA facilities since their commercial fees pay a larger portion of the AHRA's budget than private fees do...
Of course that attitude and behavior exists. We also both know many many people in that industry that don't fit that description. Your term "pretty close to a majority" may or may not be accurate but it sure is closer to reality than Bboater's description of "all". I don't need to tell you (are we boating this afternoon?) that the good attitude each of us brings enhances our experience and helps build community.
Old 07-22-2016   #30

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Definitely. Your attitude determines the experience you have more than anything else.... and I totally support all the company owners I know. They are all stand up people that care about the experience that everyone on the river has, but they aren't the one's on the water, and many of their guides only do it for a year or two..... so there is some attitude to be expected when flows drop and user volume goes up.

I would love to paddle this afternoon. I am over due. Got a pretty full day at work though, it will have to be around 5 or later....