Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
what is a come-along?
It's a hand-operated "winch."

Come Along Winches, Hand Cable Winch Come Alongs

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #12
Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I just got home from the store. Bought 8 pulleys, 2x4s, rope and some eye hooks. Gonna put it together today and I'll take a picture or 2 and post it so you can see. The plan is to have 10' perpendicular (2x4s) with 2 6' (2x4s) as more support parallel with the boat. At the ends of the perpendicular pieces I'm attaching the eye bolts. Then I will tie the rope on each bolt directly going up to the 4 pulleys. Which will then lead towards 4 more pulleys which will allowing me to hoist the boat up into the air at approximately 9' high.

I'm a little concerned about weight. The plan is to keep the frame on the raft so I'm figuring it'll way about 200 pounds. Think that is workable?

boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #13
Indian Hills, Colorado
Couple of thoughts:

Exhaust is probably bad for your rubber. May want to limit engine idling in the garage this winter.

One key advantage to storing a raft in the rafters over storing a kayak in the rafters is that it's easier to wash the spiders off of the raft than out of a kayak.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #14
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You're probably fine, but it is likely to be heavier with all the wood. The weak spot is probably the eyebolts, use big enough ones and you're good. You could just tie the rope directly around the perp 6' boards, and eliminate that one weak point, then you only have eye bolts in the ceiling. Set up a z-drag and you'll spread the weight out further! (can you tell I took a rescue class this fall? )
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Do it right:

Superwinch Utility Electric Winch 2000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 1220210

Has the speed, power and design to get the job done fast. Features 12V low Amp permanent magnet motor.

Superwinch Utility Electric Winch — 2000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 1220210 | AC Powered Winches | Northern Tool + Equipment
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #16
Yo Flaco i like the way you talk.

I've been debating doing the same in my garage with an ATV winch, but I really like the idea of using your truck to pull it up.

My only problem now is I inherited my girlfriend's raft to store for the winter. With a 10' ceiling height, not much would fit under both...

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

Ihowemt is right about the weight. It's not just your boat and its' frame. It's also the wood. That will be very heavy itself. But with 8 pullies, you can go a long way on weight with that.

Be sure the eyescrews are strong enough and won't slip. One thing you may want to consider is using an eye bolt. Drill it all the way through the wood frame, add a thick washer and bolt it in. Less likely to strip.

Also make sure the hardware on the ceiling is strong as well.

If you have kids, they'll want to ride the new homemade "elevator".

BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #18
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i finally got my rolled raft up in the garage rafters two nights ago. what a pain in the arse? it was heavy to get up there, and it's just a 13' boat. i hung the frame from the bottom side of the trusses with 4 NRS straps. i did this to distribute the load.

if possible, you should place the raft as close to one of the bearing walls as possible. with rubber/frame/wood split 8 ways, that'll be a pretty good point load on your trusses if you suspend it right in the middle of the garage.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #19
Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
After thinking about it further.... I decided to scrap the bs pulleys I got at Home Depot and go buy some climbing pulleys. Then I will screw 2 more 2x4 across the rafters (perpendicular) and I will use 7mm climbing rope/cord and secure it to the 2x4s. That way I have no faulty eye bolts to worry about. Built the platform last night. Later today I will have gotten the new pulleys and will attempt to hang it up. You guys really think I'll need a wench type device to hoist it instead of 8 pulleys?

boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #20
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Try it and see. I know I have a hard time hoisting just two kayaks, with gear, up in my shed with just 2 small pulleys. The problem is not in lifting the load per say, it is in holding it in place until you can secure it. You just have no mechanical advantage with out more pulleys in line to split the force. So the 8 single pulleys will each have 1/8 the weight to hoist and if you are pulling them all at the same time, you will still be lifting the full amount.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote