Old 03-06-2012   #31
Leadvillian, Colorado
ART is a well respected outfitter in the valley.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #32
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by brmidjones View Post
forget about it, it will ruin your life
Hopefully you are being sarcastic, ART is well respected in the valley. Great owners and employees. You don't see them up on Numbers and Browns as much as others, but where they are located they can run long cheap trips in the Bighorn and Gorge.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #33
I worked there and lived at Itty Bitty circa summer 2003 and had a blast. If you like to kayak everyday, I do think BV is the place to be though.
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #34
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by tango View Post
man i'd love to go, but i just got invited on a trip launching Nov 20th. at the moment i'm still trying to afford that one. yall are doing 30 days to lake mead or something ridiculous right? who else is going other than you and baer?

2 grand trips in one winter... maybe i can pull it off.
November 20th Tango... Nice we are taking some boats out of Phantom on the 18th. You know they are blasting it to like 42,000 then right..? Gonna be sick!

american adventure expeditions was just on Trading Spaces, so you can't go wrong there.
yo i hear noah's ark is pretty rad if you hate drinking, getting laid, or making money.

Some companies in the Ark valley have on property housing and a lot of others will direct you to a campsite. Most of them have in house training, but this usually does not include SRT training ($375 course) or oar instruction (at least initially).

The biggest question to ask yourself before becoming a river god is what your interests are. Do you want to see 7 different people every couple hours and hustle their fat A's down some riffles, or do you want to spend some time out under the stars learning the multi-day thing...

Shameless Plug: DVK has a May guide training that lasts 3 weeks and includes an SRT course and 4 different rivers right off the bat in your raft guiding career. We also have guide housing and food optionally included for those that are hired. This is probably the most expensive training around and due to that it deters some, but you must understand that your first trip is a 6 day Green River trip in Utah (clients pay a lot to go on that trip) and then you run 3 other rivers before your first work day. So at $750 it's not that bad of a deal. Usually our rookies have nearly 500 miles within their first month of work and from that point on you are entirely judged upon your skills. I. E. if you are competent in your first season then there is a chance we will check you out in the Royal Gorge or Numbers as well as give you some solid international connections to further your boating career. Many companies will not check someone out on a Grade IV section until at least their 3rd season.

Also if you scrub out of DVK for whatever reason (very few do) then you've got SRT Training and Echo or Noah's Ark will be all over your junk with that (it means you'd probably be the most trained at the company)...

You can't go wrong in the valley though honestly they are all winners in their own way. Except Noah's Ark those guys should just stick those whistles where the sun don't shine and learn some freaking river signals.
DVKEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #35
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Last but not least get ready for some of this action, cause that's what the summer party season is all about!!

DVKEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #36
Hartford, Tennessee
Zombie Thread! This thread currently spans 5 years, why not add a few more.

Anyone have any 411 on good companies still looking for guides on the Ark? So far I've tried
WA - I'm too old and funny looking. (Went on the interview trip)
AAE - They'll call me back if they need me.
AVA- Full.
DVK - Full
RR - Didn't call back.
Buffalo Joe's - Their phones don't work, are they still in business?
PT - only hiring inexperienced guides ( I thought that was me, but with my one season on class III+, I guess I'm a vet now)

I realize it's very late to be finding a job, I've learned a valuable lesson about applying to more than one company. I still have offers to guide back in TN, but was really hoping to make the move out West this year.

Ideally I'm looking for a respected outfit, that does oar and paddle guiding, runs the numbers and is in BV. PT fits all of those, if I can't find anything else I'm going to be calling them back and offer to give them $500 and be hired on as an inexperienced guide. Training is fun anyway, I just need to gather a few pesos.
Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #37
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Give Chuck a call at Acquired Tastes, 719-839-1390. AT has a small guide roster - SO - if hired after training, rookies get more trips and are paid more than other companies. AT has hands down the best take out for their half day trips as well.
fuzzysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #38
Cave Creek, Arizona
Any of you guys have experience with WAO (Whitewater Adventure Outfitters)?
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #39
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Damn, you paid for the WA interview trip and didn't get an offer? Did they tell you you're funny looking?

I inquired about a position this year with WA and the owner Joe told me I would have to pay for the interview trip. I'm a 13 year guide with 10,000 miles, WFR, SWR, etc. He actually told me that he doesn't like hiring experienced guides. Maybe he's cheap. His loss.

Lots of good companies on the Ark, but if you've spent one summer guiding on some other river they'll probably want you to pay for training - especially if you don't have a detailed training and river log.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #40
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
Any of you guys have experience with WAO (Whitewater Adventure Outfitters)?
WAO is a good company. Can't go wrong working or boating with them.

If you're looking to guide out of Cañon City,
Clear Creek is worth a look as well and they are currently hiring (according to the Industry Ads section). They are a smaller outfitter but their head boatman is solid and the owner is a good guy.

RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas