Old 02-15-2016   #1
Guiding Animas 2016?

So after the tragic mine leak, what d'ya guys and gals think about guiding on the Animas this spring? It seems like they row alot of technical stuff there as well, is this true? would the spring high water clear out most of the residual metals, residues,etc, and do you think outfitters are going to be worried about operating there or if there bookings are low? Cheers

willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I am not too concerned but then again I don't swim too often. That water was always laden with heavy metals anyway not something you want to drink ever.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #3
Cave Creek, Arizona
We ran the section through Durango last August. The water was super clear. You could see color on the rocks from the spill, but that was it. None of the locals seemed to have any concerns about the water while we were there either and the guys at 4CRS gave us the A-OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #4
Louisville, Colorado
Guiding Animas 2016?

Dosage is everything. Don't drink gallons a day and there is no problem. It is the giardia etc that would be the problem with drinking a little - and that is not something that comes from this type of incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #5
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Shit I grew up in Wallace Idaho 😆

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
Dosage is everything. Don't drink gallons a day and there is no problem. It is the giardia etc that would be the problem with drinking a little - and that is not something that comes from this type of incident.
What the geochemist said. And I bet she'll be making the trip down to run the Animas this season...

Dermal exposure to metals, especially in the form of particulates like what will be adsorbed to the iron oxide flecks that'll be mobilized during the runoff, isn't that bad. You'd probably get a worse exposure by spending a day or two welding and cutting metal than you'd get in a season running the Animas.

If you're drinking enough Animas water to get a bad dose of metals, you're doing it wrong....

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016   #7
It's likely every river in the state has the same issue. Acid Mine Drainage and the natural form Acid Rock Drainage occurs state wide. Normally you just don't see the coloration of the sediment with it. Odd how the acronym EPA makes for a good news story. The 2 times the Blue river ran orange in the 18 years I lived there, it made local news. Without having seen the water tests from that Animas I would wager a guess most of the coloration in the river was Iron and Manganese. Similar to what is found in the Blue river and its tributaries in Breckenridge.

I worked for some time at a treatment plant in the Blue river drainage treating water running out of a mine shaft. We pulled Zinc out of the water and neutralized the Ph. We did this to improve the fishery in the Blue.

I would worry more about water borne illnesses.
mike sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If running the town run 3 times a day with a full pack of flatlanders is your idea of a good time, come on down! A lot of the local companies higher almost exclusively out of internal guide schools for new guides, so you basically pay for a week long job interview and if you aren't at the top of your class, you may not get a job offer for the season. If you get a night job, you will enjoy your time on the river more, and will probably make more $$$... But you won't get the experience and river miles that come with being a lower Animas guide (whatever those are worth)

Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote