Old 06-24-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 3
Grizzly Creek to Newcastle

Looking to run this section with my family on Sunday. Just wondering the status right now. How is the takeout just east of New Castle, is the boat chute passable at the whitewater park at Glenwood? Looks like it's running at 10,000 still but seems to be dropping. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

Mizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
We ran it last Saturday at levels above this in a 12' paddle raft. You have to dodge surfers at the wave on the right side, but the two waves were passable. We didn't use it, but the takeout at Tibbits east of Newcastle is fine. We went west of Newcastle and took out on river left.

I should mention that the Grizzly Creek stretch down a little past No Name is not the mellow milk run we are mostly used to. Lots of bigger stuff in there I've never seen before, so be ready.

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #3
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
There are some big holes from Grizzly to Glenwood. Just look ahead and have your children dressed for a swim. The bridge peers in Glenwood can be a hazard as well. The play park is passable far right or left. extra points for taking out a surfer. The river below the roaring fork is 17K. Be focused and ahead of the curve and you will be fine. take outs at tibbets and new castle are accessible. The bank is the biggest danger with the fast moving water at bank full almost. Looks like the water is starting to drop so hopefully it will be little slower for you.
Gwoodspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 3
Appreciate it! Watch out surfers!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Mizzo is offline   Reply With Quote