Mountain Buzz banner

Green River airport to Swazey's

6K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  tetoncounty 
#1 ·
I'm putting in at Sand Creek 10/12, and need to fly from Green River Airport back to Sand Creek that morning. Folks here have mentioned that you can leave a vehicle at the airport and find a shuttle service to bring it out to Swazey's.
-I can't find anybody who'll do that shuttle.
-Airport doesn't seem to be staffed- their number puts you in touch with the Mayor of Green River, who doesn't answer the phone.

We've got one vehicle, two people. Don't want to deal with River Runner's Transport. Anybody have good information on Green River Airport?

#2 ·
Red Tail Aviation is the company that does the Air Shuttle.... River Shuttles – Fly Redtail

I imagine calling and asking them what the logistics of getting your vehicle to Swazey's and/or picking you up there after you drop the vehicle off there is.

I know you said you don't want to deal with RRT, but I'll chime in and say that I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with them and you'll save yourself $85 and half a day of driving. It would be pretty cool to do the Air Shuttle though.

#4 ·
Red Tail Aviation is the company that does the Air Shuttle.... River Shuttles – Fly Redtail

I imagine calling and asking them what the logistics of getting your vehicle to Swazey's and/or picking you up there after you drop the vehicle off there is.

I know you said you don't want to deal with RRT, but I'll chime in and say that I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with them and you'll save yourself $85 and half a day of driving. It would be pretty cool to do the Air Shuttle though.
Thanks for the information. I've talked to Redtail several times- they can't help with anything on the Green River end.
As far as RRT, I've tried to get them to let me hire a driver to meet me in Green River and drive me back to Sand Creek in their vehicle after I've placed my truck. Offered to pay a premium, cash.They've told me they won't do that.
I'm less concerned about the money than I am about finding that truck where I want it, when I want it, undamaged.
I'm only considering flying because I can't find any other way back to Sand Creek. I'm sure it will be scenic but, after thirty years of flying into and out of rivers and climbs in Canada and Alaska I'd pass up a flight in another small plane without regret.

#5 ·
For two reasons:

-I've driven the roads in that part of Utah for decades. I have family in Emery County. There is no problem if you drive slowly. I don't know how to make a shuttle driver who is being paid peanuts, by the trip, who I've never met, do that. I worked as a river guide in the US and Canada, and I never let a shuttle driver drive my personal vehicle.
-I've read RRT's waiver. Translated for non-lawyers, it says: 1. If something happens 2. Not our problem. That's fine, it's their business, and I don't mean to disparage them. But to do business with them I have to sign away rights to my vehicle. I won't do that.
-As I've said, I'm willing to pay a premium to get the service I want.

#7 ·
FWIW....I've used RR for many years now and have had nothing but good experiences with them. I'm usually in a day early to rig and have seen many of their drivers arrive to run shuttle. All of them I've seen, look like old retired folks. No young kids in the bunch.

Have you thought about renting a van or truck from U haul and let them shuttle that?

#9 ·
Forgot a bunch of bananas in the truck at Sand Wash in late June. Found my vehicle in perfect condition at the take-out with a note from RRT's driver of the fruits demise. Cleaning out a customers ratty truck should be an indication of how good these folks are. If you are so worried about your vehicle go buy a beater off Craigslist to run shuttle and just enjoy the river.

#10 ·
Huh, waiver is standard for the industry. There is inherent risk that you'll have to account for but you can always challenge them if it was an incident that involved negligence or gross negligence. But I have no reason to believe that is going to happen. They are top notch and likely know how to drive those roads safer and better than 90% of the people who head into Sand Wash. I mean they do it everyday for months. I would also hesitate assuming they pay their people peanuts. Their staff have always been happy, knowledgeable and ready to help which is normally indicative of well paid employees. Just a guess, though based in 10 years of using them.

Green River Airport is best seen as an airstrip, not an airport. Most small town airstrips in Utah are largely unmanned and minimally maintained. That would explain your experience.

October is relatively lonely time in that region to be expecting a non-shuttle lift. You may find someone who is willing to help but I wouldnt be shocked if you don't. It's a small town with limited tourism after Melon Days (2 weekends ago).

If really trying to avoid the standard option just throw a mountain bike in your rig and add some extra time to peddle.

#18 ·
+1 for RRT. They've gone beyond the call of duty for me when my car broke down. Excellent and professional service from them is the rule.

#19 ·
another boater happy to have RRT and especially Melanie and her husband's out of the way friendly customer service. Good service and good people to work with.

I have lost count of the times over the last couple decades I have used RRT shuttle on area rivers. never had a problem.

#23 · (Edited)
Is there a taxi in Green River? I'd bet they'd get you to or from Swasey's a lot cheaper than $350...

As for RRT not taking people, they're probably prohibited by their liability insurance from carrying passengers. And the trip from Green River to Swasey's is pretty easy on the vehicle. This is a cakewalk for any shuttle company, especially RRT. I'd have no qualms about having them take my vehicle from the airstrip to the takeout.

Good luck making it work,

-AH

#25 ·
This friend of mine tells me this story about a friend of his.

So this guy just bought a new truck and was not about to let anyone drive it.... not even his wife. They were going on a Deso trip and he wanted to shuttle his own vehicle. The wife drives a Subaru, so he finds a friend that will follow them in the Subaru, to the put in at sand wash. They pack up the truck and a flat bed trailer and head out..... with the friend following behind.

When they arrive at Sand Wash, they unload and get ready to launch the next day. He puts the Subaru on the trailer and heads for Green river to drop off the truck and trailer at the take out. He then drives the Subaru back to the put in. The friend see's them off the next day and drives their car back home.

During the shuttle drive, the trailer has a flat tire and the guy didn't notice it until he had ruined the rim. Luckily he brought a spare. Just as he turned onto I-70, a truck kicked up a rock and cracked his windshield. Goes to show......shit happens on shuttle.....no matter who is driving the rig.

#26 ·
It appears that this is a new run for you and that you aren't familiar with RRT. We are 3 pages into this and there hadn't been a single negative word about RRT from anyone who has used them. That's RARE- and we are VERY fortunate to have such a professional operation handling Green River shuttles. They're damned good- and consistently so. I realize that's not the norm for shuttle services- but these guys are a godsend for Yampa/Green boaters.

Use them with confidence and have a carefree float.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.