Green River airport to Swazey's - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-29-2016   #11

wilson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1967
Anybody in the area interested in $350 cash to drive me from Green River back to Sand Wash on 10/11?

tetoncounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016   #12

wilson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoncounty View Post
Anybody in the area interested in $350 cash to drive me from Green River back to Sand Wash on 10/11?
I'll pay for your gas.
Old 09-29-2016   #13

vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
Hi. This is Melanie at RRT. You must have misunderstood me when you called. We are not permitted to move people, only vehicles. We would be happy to help you with a vehicle shuttle. Give us a call and we can discuss your trip.
melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #14

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
As usual, Melanie has stepped up to provide clarity and excellent customer service.
Old 09-29-2016   #15

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Not sure paying someone beyond their expenses is legal if they aren't permitted and insured to do so on public land. Big jump from offering gas $ and a six pack to $350.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #16

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Green River airport to Swazey's

heli that shit. plenty of skycranes available now that fire season has ended.
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #17

wilson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Not sure paying someone beyond their expenses is legal if they aren't permitted and insured to do so on public land. Big jump from offering gas $ and a six pack to $350.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
It's perfectly legal to make a deal with a private party to drive you somewhere. Compensation is a private matter between the parties involved.

The offer stands.
Old 09-29-2016   #18

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
+1 for RRT. They've gone beyond the call of duty for me when my car broke down. Excellent and professional service from them is the rule.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #19

Jenks, Oklahoma
another boater happy to have RRT and especially Melanie and her husband's out of the way friendly customer service. Good service and good people to work with.

I have lost count of the times over the last couple decades I have used RRT shuttle on area rivers. never had a problem.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #20

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
It's perfectly legal to make a deal with a private party to drive you somewhere. Compensation is a private matter between the parties involved.

The offer stands.
Huh, would be curious to know how the BLM interprets that statement. According to the Utah BLM SRP policies what you are advertising and soliciting likely falls under a Vendor application (short term) with a commercial designation from what I have read. There maybe a caveat that exempts the request but it's not listed in their examples (exceeds stated distance, not BLM sponsored event, etc). Willing to be hear clarification from someone in the know.

That said I have a hard time believing that an offer of $350 publicly (ie profit, and a sum almost 2x as much as the going vehicle shuttle rate) for a similar service offered by a permitted, insured business that pays a regular fee to the BLM isn't regulated. Especially since it's being solicited in advance, in public.

It might just be my hackles rising as a former guide who watched such activities for years. I just don't see much of a difference between this and offering someone a cash payment to unofficially help guide you down a permitted river, canyon or up a technical route on a peak. And it's definitely not in the definition or spirit of cost sharing that defines non-commercial, exempt activities on public land as I know it.

Inquiring minds want to know.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote