Old 11-08-2013   #21
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
Thanks for all the input so far guys. Anyone have tips on the best shuttle option for a relatively small group renting a raft?
seems to me its always been easiest and cheapest just to go with the company you are renting the raft from.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #22
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Here's a thought..... screw your time constraints and go as long as you can. If there's a will there's a way

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #23
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
We did it in 11 days, all rafts, about 6 years back. Had some weather but we pushed through. It can be done. Can't say it was the most pleasurable trip I've had there but if that's what time constraints call for then you make it happen, it's the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sarge6531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #24
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
10 Day Trip from November 21

We did a 10 day trip from November 21 for 10 days, 2014. The water level was 6-9k after the flood. I was the only one that had a rowed a boat on the Grand before but the folks were SOLID. 20's to 40's of age. I had no option but to do a short trip as I coach kids in the winter and we had a tournament in December. I would prefer to do a bigger trip but that is what we had and we were going boating")

We had a 14 foot boat, ( 2 ) 16 foot boats, and an 18 foot Cat. We were light. We went to bed at 7pmish and were up by 7amish or before.

We read and ran everything to Hance where we did a "fast" scout. We went 30 miles the first day as the Ranger had to leave early in the morning so we were able to do our checkout the night before and be on the waters by 8am. We camped at Shinimoo at 4pms.

Then Kwagunt at 4:30pms, and then Nevills @ 5pms after a short hike at Tanner. We arrived at Phantom at 10ams to do a change out on morning of Day 4 and carried on to Salt Creek. Generally speaking we ran 8-4 pm everyday and made our 22 mile minimum and then banked more for short hikes or interesting interactions with groups. We didn't scout much but rather glommed up before each rapid where I splained it and then we read and ran.

For dinners we had double helpings of Boil in the bag meals like Chile Rellenos. We ate one helping at night with paperplates and burnt them in the fire. We Reheated it in the morning/coffee and cracked two eggs into it. We Ate. And then put the leftovers in a tortilla for lunch in a ziploc. Worked like a charm. We prolly spent a total of 30 minutes or less on all meals for the day.

On the lower we did a quick scout of Crystal and half ran the meat in spite of our attempts not to Then read and ran to Bedrock where we did a quick scout. We Read and Ran to Lava where we scouted. We arrived at 217 ish at 3 pm on Day 9 an horsed around.

We had a great time. It was alot of work, but the water runs 3.5 mph at that water level so if you were on the water in the current not getting off the boat from 8-4pm you could easily do 28 miles. If we flipped or punctured the boat obviously this would have changed our outcome .

I told the guys after the trip that we would do a 21 day trip next time. They said 21 days ? What do you do with 11 layovers")?? Or something like that") What a blur. Although I would prefer to do 30 days, theres worse ways to do time in your life! Like behind the computer screen, blahk")

Life is Wealth even if you only have 14 days... barter for more but do whatever ...none the same. Just get your ass out of bed. And of course only do it if you are qualified, whatever that means

Reminds me of a fable. A young brave asked his dad how his brother got his name "Two Doves Flying". Well son, when your mother had your brother I walked outside after the miracle of his birth and I wondered what I should call him?!? At that moment two doves flew off and I knew "Two Doves Flying" will be my FIRST SON!

.....Why do you ask "Two Dogs !@cking?" hee hee
moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015   #25
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Way too short. Quit your job or kick that person off the trip and enjoy it!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015   #26

Do what you can with what you have.

Even a short trip through The Canyon takes you through an amazing place. And you can begin to dream and scheme about how to do a longer one the next time.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote