Old 12-15-2013   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Grand Canyon Wood Stove!!

Hi All,
I am planning a January 5th Grand Canyon Trip and while looking into outfitters came across the Wood Stove the Ceiba offers. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or has any opinions whether it will be worth bring it at $4 a day?

Wood Stove for Winter River Trips | Ceiba Adventures Blog

ZaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #2
cedar city, Utah
We had one, a different make/model, on our 2010 Jan trip. We used for about 6 of the 28 nights. Most of the folks loved it. I personally prefer the ambience and ease of having a fire in a pan (no cutting down wood to size) when its not raining. Seems a good idea if you think you will be under a good, expensive rain tarp a lot ($$ not wanted to be wasted with ember holes). We used it when we had 6 days straight of rain from just above Bass to below Matkat Hotel. Pretty epic experience.

It is also feasible to setup a sweat lodge with them if you have a day off. We never did but others rave about the experience on the river.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #3
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I don't know about the Grand Canyon or that stove per say, but we always have a wood stove for winter boating multiday. You can sit in a t-shirt and actually dry stuff out in a hurry in a "hot tent" / wall tent.

the hot tent pictures is an MSR twin brother 4 with Ti-Goat stove jack panel sewed in, and paired with a Kni-co Packer stove. Stove weighs 12 pounds, legs fold and everything nests into the stove for transport. Fits in a plastic tote with shovel, ax and kindling for 5 days. 23" fire box so takes relativey long logs for small stove.

Wood stoves paired with hot tents/wall tents are a cold weather boating multiday game changer, seriously! You can flat out dry out your drysuit undergarmets over night easily.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Wood Stove and wall tent

Hi Zane, I was on a Jan. trip a couple years ago, and we brought a full on canvas wall tent and wood stove which got very little use, but was there the few times we needed it, and that was huge! I hiked in at phantom, but my understanding was that they had temps in the 20's one night above phantom and set it up, and later in the trip we had rain all day, followed by biting wind and snow at night. We set it up and 12 of us were sitting shirtless in the tent, drying clothes and relishing in the warmth while it was nasty outside. It was huge for moral as well as safety IMHO. We had big boats so it wasn't a huge deal to pack the extra weight, and if I were to do another winter trip, I would try and do a large tent w/ stove or some variant again. It really made the tough nights pleasurable! I can't really imagine it being super useful without a tent though...
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #5
summit, Colorado
We rented the stove from Ceiba on a November trip two years ago....LOVED that thing! The best part is the tall pipe - the smoke goes up and over your head instead of straight into your eyes. Plus, you get the heat source and can still stare up at the stars.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #6
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
for canyon use, that lil buddy radiant heater with a tank adapter would seem to make more sense. Than a woodstove. I have been on two January Launches... never really hit any bad weather so it stayed in the bag
sleighr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #7
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I made one out of a rocket box, remove rubber gasket and take out formed metal inside lid so you get a nice and hot cooking surface.

Check these guys out...

Bad ass titanium breakdown stoves that weigh less than 5 lbs, that's less than a regular gas stove and propane. It's also all made in Colorado. I sent my floorless MSR tent to them and they sewed in a stove jack. Awesome company in Ouray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1488028177.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	7463  
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #8
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Kaifaru and Tigoat have some really awesome ultralight stove stystems and teepees that really do make all the difference in wintercamping.

Seek outside and I think Wyoming outdoors has similar setups as well.

None of the options are cheap, but they are worth it!!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #9
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Propane heaters generate a lot of water vapor. Your stuff won't dry out if you use one in a tent.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #10
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I have done considerable research on commercially available sheephearder stoves/packable wood stoves.

Unless you need a titanium stove for backpacking, the best stoves that ballance weight, packable size and cost are the Kni-co stoves out of Wallowa, Oregon. I have the Packer. The Packer Jr is quite small as well.

Kni-Co Manufacturing Inc, Wood Burning Camp Stoves and Sheepherder Products

I might note, the link to WyomingLostandFound, their stuff is great, but my Kni-co packer stove + tent was less $$ than their XXL titanium stove price alone, and my stove only weighs 3 pounds more.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote