Grand Canyon Rigging for a 15' in Sept.. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2016   #11

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
1. Balanced and as low as possible. Avoid big gear piles. Lighter is more maneuverable, and better in my opinion.

2. I have used filled jugs before. I wouldn't again. You have enough weight anyway, and again, lighter is more maneuverable.

3. You'll put stuff in the cockpit anyway- might as well have something to hold it. I've used rectangle milk crates, either side of my feet, with a peli 1500 as a lid. Could easily fashion a different lid.

climbdenali is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #12

BV, Colorado
14' boat. 3 square water jugs in front hatch, cooler, 2 captain drop bags, 5 ammo cans under seat, two propane bombs under back hatch. low profile, oars in center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0220.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	11947  
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #13

Aurora, Colorado
Nice lookin' rig!

Does anything else go on the back deck where all those straps are?
climbdenali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #14

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks everyone ! -- good intell.. I will plan on keeping it light, filling the cockpit more and getting a captain's bag..and an ice pick! More answers welcome and appreciated! -- Bongo!!
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #15

BV, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Nice lookin' rig!

Does anything else go on the back deck where all those straps are?
Usually strap on paco doubled over, then drybags, chairs and soft stuff behind me on the decks. Then drop a large Bills bag in the center, and sleep on paco pads side by side. It works pretty good. Had a pretty cool queen size roll up foam thing that also worked great one trip.
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #16

Bend, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Thanks everyone ! -- good intell.. I will plan on keeping it light, filling the cockpit more and getting a captain's bag..and an ice pick! More answers welcome and appreciated! -- Bongo!!
I think "light boat" and "Grand Canyon" is a bit of an oxymoron. There is just a lot of stuff to carry for that length of trip. Maneuverability isn't priority #1 down there given the nature of the rapids, but some low-slung ballast certainly doesn't hurt things a bit when you miss your line and fail to get T'd up properly:

Boat sleeping is the best. Here is our waterbed all set up to go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon 2016 546.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	989.2 KB
ID:	11988  
Old 07-21-2016   #17

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Just got back from a run down the Grand. Rowed a heavy 18'. I think weight is good -- hole punching is required and maneuverability is secondary -- just look ahead and hit your line. As for eddies, look where you want to end up before entering the rapid and line up accordingly...some of the challenge of hitting the current after a rapid can be minimized by entering at the right place in the wave train...with that said, you'll still fight to stay in it, or even find it, at times. I ran a drag bag most of the way since cold beer seemed mandatory when drinking water became a chore -- did pull the bag in on big/shallow runs.
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #18

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I would disagree that you "have to" run any holes. I got invited last minute as a bow fairy in a 13.5 ft raft and ended up rowing a 16 ft cataract after an injury in Crystal. Luckily that meant I got to skip all of the work/planning and just enjoy the trip!

Maneuverability is still important. All of our small boats were fine, our only flips were the heavier 16 ft "gear pigs".
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #19

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
All I got is WOW

Land of the Giants sideways and barely trying to do a thing about it....WOW!
Nice clip!
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #20

Bend, Oregon
Hardly doing anything? I was actually very busy praying for our lives!

I agree it seems like an eternity in the slo-mo between coming to the realization that I'd screwed the pooch and when I start doing anything again after we exited upright. I was so surprised to not be swimming that it took me a beat to come to my senses and get busy again.

By way of monday-morning quarterbacking, if you watch the full-speed version of the whole run the mistake was made in turning the boat to T-up too early into waves that were really inconsequential in comparison. In doing that I lost all of the right to left momentum I had worked to build up and just couldn't get it back when I turned it sideways again. Then, a bit of panic set in...

Not my finest moment on the oars, but it does make for an entertaining watch!