Old 06-18-2008   #1
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Grand Canyon Raft Frame Suggestions???

I am gearing up for my first Grand trip and I am going all out. Gonna get me a NRS E-180 18' Raft. Any suggestions on a manufacturer for a Big-ol raft frame. I am talking full on commercial grade gear hauling.

AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
If you want to go custom I know Ron @ RiverboatWorks in Salida can make you exactly want you want. He made a fishing frame for me, but I can tell his heart is in white water!

Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Will, that NRS 18' is a great boat. You might want to look at the Sotars. They have a great sale page, and make a great product at a great price. As Far as a frame. You should look at PRO out of Flagstaff. They will hook you up with absolutely everything you need for a Grand trip. You can also rent a sotar from them to try it out. They have been in the frame business forever, and actually pioneered aluminum frames.

Professional River Outfitters Inc.
Sotar Home
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #4
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
i know of several on the board that build frames, myself included. IMO, and for the money, I would buy NRS stock, and a mess of low pro's, and start laying it out. you could easily have a 5 bay frame, or six depending on your set up. Low pro's are easy to work with, and pretty darn solid. if you don't have a chop saw, you can even buy a junker at a pawn shop. with some basic measurments you could have a frame put together in a few hours., for a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a fabricated frame.

I built a frame for a guy with a avon pro, it was pretty trick, double rail, 6061 t-6 rails, 6061-t-6 d-plate, 1/4 inch, 5 bay, powdercoat, and it was 1900.00, just to give you an idea.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #5
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
In Denver

Down River Equipment and AAA inflatables are to shops that can do it all.
Expensive but good quality.
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #6
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
AAA is not actually more expensive than say an NRS frame plus they can customize it for you. I'd say give them a call or stop by and talk to them - cool folks and really informative.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #7
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
I'd at least check out PRO outfitters in Flagstaff. I've seen a few of their frames and have been super impressed. I think it's what OARS runs on most of thier boats and I have yet to see a frame as impressively built. PRO: Grand Canyon Rafting
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #8
aurora, Colorado
big frames

I copied their 'major baggage' design for my frame on my 17' I can haul a LOT easily. Dunno about prices, etc. But another option, for sure. The River Source
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #9
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I love my Down River. They set me up with a great frame for my sister who is in a wheelchair. Bunch of great folks. Very nice frames and great things to make it just what you want and need
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I recommend you check out pro or Canyon REO for rigging setup. The standard setup is, sit on cooler, cockpit with 3 20mm ammo cans on each side (sitting on hanging metal cockpit floor), front bay for dry box or drop bag. Then a trailer frame in front, which is just another small frame to make a 2nd front bay. Decking over the side tubes. Beaver board slung in the stern for holding gear. I had drop bags in both those front bays, with hinged hatches over the top. You can also use a table, but then at camp you lose your bay cover. If you want to sleep on your boat (which I recommend cuz then you don't have to haul as much crap up and down, and you aren't IN and ON the sand) you don't want that platform to go away with the table. One in our group also had some platforms that covered the cockpit, so they had a HUGE flat area on top.

Some people put the trailer frame in the back, but I don't see how you'd balance your load that way, and you'd end up sitting too far forward for my comfort.

have fun!

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote