Old 06-01-2014   #31
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by bigwaterjim View Post
I always pack 1 item of comfort that I don't share. Last trip it was a pound of jelly bellys.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
i second that, i know i know your supposed to share but for me its lemon drops

rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #32
durango, Colorado
roll a cot saved my life!
also wet down the sand below you before you start snoring it does wonders for dropping the temp around you.
i second the black light, way fun to see who's tend is on the nest!
bring extra hats and shades
i also found on my july trip that i preferred to row in long sleeve cotton(preferably pearl snap) shits and scrubs are killer lightweight cotton pants to have.
bring a variety of beers but, leave the heady beer at home no matter how much you like it no one wants a fat tire on day 18 of Africa heat you will be happier with pbr, bud light, modelo, tecate etc etc and don't for get to supplement with plenty of aqua

carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #33
C. Springs, Colorado
Tiki Torches!!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Flushable wipes (non-alcohol) for a quick fresh'n up when showers are out of the question. A cooler of high quality cube ice for cocktails. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #35
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Tiki Torches!!
PROPANE tiki torches
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #36
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Baby wipes. Great for cleaning your ears, wiping your eyes, and just generally getting the grit out of all those little crevices. Large umbrella for the raft. Anything that provides shade for that matter. Lotion. Camel back and water bottle. Shades x2.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #37
Super salve and cotton sheet. Just got off a trip, was 110 during the day and felt like about 90 initially at night when crashing out. River felt awesome but definitely warmer due to lake level. We were getting temps in the high 50's around the gems. Have a great trip. I bought some astral brewers before this trip and wore them with neoprene socks, worked awesome and super sticky for scrambly slick Muav hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tahoepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #38
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I prefer a damp terry-cloth beech towel instead of the damp bed sheets, the towel holds more moisture so the evaporative cooling lasts longer.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #39
San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 2008
Just got off @ Pearce on June 21st. HOT 102-108 (max 114), 7-14 cfs. W ok. Fang ate me. House Rock bucked me out but my NRS14' SB had a great run. Best piece of new gear a 6x6 ft Cgear sand mat. Slept under the stars every night. A Roll-a-Cot with a 40deg North Face rectangular bag for padding with queen sheet. The Cgear sand mat was the Bomb. Made for a nice 6ft square sand free living area. I can't stress how nice it was to have the sand disappear thru this mat. Next trick was Walmart 64ct. Assurance body wipes. $3. Nothing better than a clean body in a clean sheet. Also I go for the Gold Bond Heal Cream on feet & hands with thin silk gloves and socks. Really helps the "Cracks"
For you "I got to have my Joe before I breath" types, try this. Boil water and pre-heat a one or one-half liter double walled SS Thermos. Reboil the water and make your coffee after dinner dishes are done. Put the Thermos under your rack & hit the sack. You'll have very hot coffee before everyone. And possibly new freinds! ps I don't ruin coffee with sugar or cream. Still working on that intravenous coffee push system.
I've tried lots of water mixes. Nix-um stick with h2o. Keep 3 metal 1 liter bottles in insulated holders. One in the drag bag, one for me and one for The River Gods. Leave the chocolate home. I like M&M's in the big pass around plastic jug. (Thanks Bill). Payday candy bars don't melt either and love them nuts. We had 16 people with a double 5 switch out at Phantom. (Pipe Creek). Launch'd with 85 gallons of H2o, filled at Phantom Boat Beach. Pumped at Ledges. Very clear water. Two Partner 4 burners used 37 lbs. Used 3 rocket box groovers. This is the second Grand I've run with. 42", 1amp dc waterproof flexible Solar Panel and a ultra high tech 34amp hr. lithium battery in the dry box. Powered camera, gopro, iPhone, GPS, headlight and lots of friends stuff. Ended at 13.33vdc. Never used a disposable battery. I'm still working on that "cold fusion" powered ice maker. But will probably have to settle for hydrogen powered system that can pump out 33lbs of ice a day. That will get me out of Groover Duty! Don't laugh I'll be setting up a shaved ice stand @ Tequila Beach, Take that Navajos.
Finally about the heat. It took me a week to recuperate, I'm doing a winter trip next. Miss that Kokatat Dry Suit and quite. I actually had a Commercial group person ask me in Havasu Cyn. "Are we there yet?". Those motorized trips look like rides at Disney Land. I've never yelled "wee" while running Hance. Ok back to Rim World.

iPad in Jaccuzi
Watusi_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #40
Great Post. Thanks for contributing to the forum. Its great to read a post that adds to the community and skip the 100 posts about killing snakes.

Glad you had a safe and fun trip. Stay cool

oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote