Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Horse shoes are a must

sponge if you are k-1

aqua seal glue for drybag repair

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #23
Othello, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
For cracked, bleeding hands: Copious amounts of stinky Bag Balm before sack time. Cover hands with surgical gloves overnight and wake up healed.
dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #24
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 93'
Originally Posted by dugger View Post
For cracked, bleeding hands: Copious amounts of stinky Bag Balm before sack time. Cover hands with surgical gloves overnight and wake up healed.
I did this in a similar way for my feet with a pair of socks and TONS of Bag Balm when I worked commercially. Lots of guides did it and it saved your feet from cracking
utrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #25
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Same for me. Keep the Balm and the socks in a dedicated ziplock bag.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #26
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Having just gotten off the Grand last week (while it's still fresh), I would never go again without the following:

1) Good pair of gloves - I used a pair of more expensive gardening gloves and they worked very well. Use them whenever you're rigging, opening dry bags, loading/unloading the boat, handling straps, etc.
2) Bag Balm - the incredibly dry climate will wreak havoc on both your feet and hands. Bring a different pair of gloves for night application, and, be sure to bring multiple pairs of cotton socks and slip-on shoes (Crocs woke well) for foot application and walking around camp.
3) A light colored sheet that you can soak with water in the daytime to keep your legs and feet out of the sun when you can't take any more. It is going to be sweltering! I also like the mister idea, that's got to feel pretty good!
4) Super Glue - worked ten times better on cracks/splits than NuSkin, which is more like applying a coat of Nail polish, and it peels right off!
5) Good splash gear - you will get wet, and the water is cold, so be sure you have a good top and bottom when you need them!
6) Wide brim hat (or two) with drawcord to stay on in the wind.
7) Light colored long-sleeved shirts and light pairs of pants to protect your skin from the sun. Sunscreen is definitely still needed, but soon, you will be one with the dirt/sand, and, applications become more exfoliating than as affective as they were at the start of the trip.
And, lastly, pack everything you think you need and then cut it in half. Then, cut it in half again (or, bring another dry bag for dirty laundry)! So far, since we returned last Tuesday, I have done 11 loads of laundry, and I still have 2-3 more to do (It was my first time down and I brought WAY TOO MUCH stuff!).
Other items that were nice to have: Solar charger, musical instruments (while you're usually pretty exhausted by the time you get to camp, it's always fun to play some music), sun shower, parawing or EZ-up for Camp Shade, solar landscaping lights on stakes which we charged daily and placed by the sand stakes so folks wouldn't trip at night, and battery-pwered light strings (like the ones they make for bicycles) - they're fun in the kitchen.

I know there's many more, but these are the things I would definitely be sure to take with me on my next Grand trip, anyway
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead." - Jimmy Buffett
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #27
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Rig your boat to sleep on it. I use a piece of wood to cover the foot well and use a pyramid tent with two poles if it looks like rain.
trevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #28
port angeles, Washington
Paddling Since: 1977
my picks for a June trip

As someone else said bring a cot and sheet for sleeping. You can put your cot right down next to the water and sleep really well. Way better, IMHO than sleeping on a raft.

The other thing is a good straw sun hat for rowing...bring an extra.

Stay wet...............................Gary
kanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #29
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
a sarong is all around nice to have, wet & cover yourself to sleep easier on hot nights, drape over a wide brimmed hat for added shade during the day, wear it for a party dress, skirt, turban, or cape, lay on it on the sand....
I've brought books, but they never make it out of my drybag, there's too much cool stuff to see
journal, musical instrument
extra pair of sunglasses, no shades would be brutal
hand/foot salve, sunscreen, lip balm
a game or two, like horsehoes, frisbee, hacky sack, washers, bocci ball
....and way, way, way more beer than you would think

Have a great trip!
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #30
I always pack 1 item of comfort that I don't share. Last trip it was a pound of jelly bellys.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

bigwaterjim is offline   Reply With Quote