Old 05-24-2014   #11
If phantom ranch has ice buy as much as your party can carry
Don't be afraid to ask for ice from the commercials towards the end, they can be unexpected saviors of cocktail hours on day 16

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #12
Steamboat, 80487
Originally Posted by mrkyak View Post
Two cotton sheets, soak thoroughly and ring out before bed, one below you one above you, as they evaporate you sleep like a baby, sleep on the boat if at all possible, 10 degrees cooler than anywhere on shore

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Can a silk sleeping bag liner work just as good for this?

boatshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #13
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992

mesh cot with the wet sheets was a lifesaver in the heat. I set mine up across the dryboxes on the boat to take advantage of cool air off the water.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #14
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
IMO the phantom ranch ice wasn't really worth it. Granted,my cooler wasn't awesome. But almost all of it had melted by the next night. This was two months ago,in march. It's a very wet ice. But it is the bottom of the Grand Canyon and beggars can't be choosers....just don't plan on it sticking around for long.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #15
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Misty mate, google it and get one. Super salve for your hands, a large umbrella and big hat. Have fun.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #16
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Originally Posted by salsasean View Post
Misty mate, google it and get one. Super salve for your hands, a large umbrella and big hat. Have fun.
I was going to ask if anyone ever sets up a mister off of their shade cove/Bimi. A simple garden sprayer, the ones with a pump handle, and some misters attached to a drip line irragation set up could go for hours and really keep things cool.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #17
Hi GPP33,

I'll admit to having done that. Nobody laughed again after the temperature got over 100, and all the clouds went away.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #18
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I clip the misty mate onto my life jacket while rowing, when not running rapids and it makes everything so nice. Also nice to walk around camp and mist others.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #19
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
2nd on the Super Salve (but if you ain't drinking lots of water it don't matter much)
Thin, full fingered gloves for rigging raft and sun gloves for the rest of the day are great for saving your hands.
Super glue and pre-cut band aids (cut into thin strips you can work around finger cracks and use super glue to glue into place) if above don't work.
The wet sheets as mentioned - also small mister spray bottle for spraying one's self at bedtime and in night. After dark a spray lasts a pretty long time. A sheet and light blanket is plenty for keeping warm. You'll probably fall asleep in your skivvies or less - it's that warm and you'll grab a sheet or blanket later in the night. If you're a dude a bottle to pee in so you don't have to stumble around in dark.
Sport umbrella is great. Good shade for 2 peeps and is pretty versatile. I used it to block wind/blowing sand at night a few times.
Unless you're a full on shower geek a small solar shower (2 gal or even 1 gal) is sufficient and is easier to deal with.
Make sure your big brimmed hat has a chin cord you can snug down.
A little collapsible table to put by your chair ( and bring to your campsite too)
Some EmergenC or other drink mix stuff for your water - especially if you're filtering and using iodine. True Lemon makes a 1/2 way decent lemonade and an ice tea mix.
Good black licorice and other snacks and some El Mayor Anejo for Tequila Beach - be prepared to hassle folks to get your El Mayor back so you can have another pull.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
2nd on the roll-a-cot. If you can sleep on the raft, great. If not, you can set the cot up right next to the river to catch the cool breeze it brings. Plus you can set it up just about anywhere, right in the water if you want. But watch out for the daily "tides" or you will wake up when the water laps your underside.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote