Old 05-16-2012   #11
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Besides, instead of spending all that extra cash on a rental you can buy a few pieces of new gear thats yours to keep.

Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #12
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Go with the 14'!!! just got back from my first trip in the Grand, and took my beloved 14"!!! If I could choose from any size raft it would be a 14' or a 12'. Yeah, they don't carry that much, but you don't need that much either, and they are just more fun, and nimble. Just center the weight and if you have a passenger(live weight)you'll be kickin ass and goin' big!! Big water III's at the level I did it at, i think 7000-12000. We had two 14's on our trip and they both kicked ass and went big!!

turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #13
Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
I have run the Grand twice with 14 foot rafts, and they are plenty big if you have your frame set up properly. We are going with a 16 ft Aire cat for the next trip. My vote is don't rent, if you want a bigger boat, buy one and then you have more choices for what you run rivers with!

Have a kick butt trip.

Originally Posted by greenboater View Post
We've got a Grand Trip planned for August, my question is should I take my own Aire 143D or rent a bigger boat? I'm a kayaker for years and got the raft last year, my rafting skill is ok, I did the Main Salmon last July. I'm I being a wimp by not using my boat or I'm I being over cautious in renting a bigger one?

OK buzzards have at it.
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #14
Go for it. I have rowed my "14' of fun" high=side 2 times down, it's the best ride nothing like hermit at 25-30k, some things you may want to sneak like, right side on crystal. you must square up as mentioned above. I slept on my boat. no problem. low center of gravity, let a little air out of the floor to give you a crown. i took 3 coolers tight fit. next time I go more bourbon than beer...
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #15
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I ran it a few years back in my 14' SB. I was able to sneak all the big meaty rapids but Lava and had a blast on all the minor rapids while the big boats barely noticed them. David L's down there on his 13' right now.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #16
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I agree- You bought a boat to use it, so use it. I've been on trips down there with 14'ers and they did fine. Stay out of the massive holes-like any other size raft would, and square up on everything else. Fun,fun,fun!
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #17
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
Only one has mentioned space, and indeed it will be your home for close to three weeks. 14' will get her done for sure, but as others have stated, just be aware.

On the big boat side, yes they are super Cush, easily organized, and user friendly. The down fall? All the left over " stuff" gets loaded on you, and you wind up looking like a heap of lashed on, after thought kinda rig. More loose straps, and " crap" in my opinion is dangerous. Have a place for everything, and keep it there. You already own your rig, know how you like it rigged, so stick with it.

Have fun, be safe!

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #18
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
There are two kind of boaters "Them thats flipped & Them thats gonna". Strap that 14er expecting a flip and go have fun! As a photographer I love the 14ers for they always provide the spectacular action shots!
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #19
cedar city, Utah
14 foot is completely fine as far as capability and rapids.

The only issue will be gear hauling. Plan your trip around the boats you have and not other away around and you will be fine.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #20
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
If you're comfortable in you're 14', go with it. An 18' boat loaded with gear is lot different than a kayak. Go with what you know.

sigjensen is offline   Reply With Quote