Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejos View Post
Just invite you Doctor!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
My favorite piece of advice!!! LOVE IT

Old 12-16-2016   #32

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
A few things to consider, beyond the life and well being of your child AND your own self.

Pregnancy is a wonderful display of the multi-dimensional design involved in our bodies and our lives. I heard an OB-GYN say that 98% of the time he was present at a birth, he was just overpaid baggage, but that other 2% of the time, he earned it ALL. He said he could deliver a baby in his sleep ... that he HAD delivered babies in his sleep ... that it was really the mother who delivered babies, and that it was a natural process. He said that on those occasions where he was needed, he was needed very badly, and that on those occasions, he was needed upon the instant. He said if bleeding starts, you can be gone in minutes. He said such things can and do occur at any time during pregnancies, and I'm not one to doubt him. I've never had to cart out a corpse, but I've watched a group doing it. They were not happy campers.

I certainly understand wanting to make this trip before your baby is born. You are about to have your life and your priorities rearranged and it may be a while before you can run the Canyon again. But, you certainly Will run that canyon if you wish, be it before or after caring for a child through infancy. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to take your child on a few river trips anyway!
The question I would ask, after considering the life and safety of yourself and your child, would be about the remoteness of the canyon, communications, emergency services if something DOES go wrong, AND the effect of that eventuality on the other people's lives and their trip. I just had to turn down an invitation for a 28 day trip, because of my own frailty of the moment, and because of its potential effect on others.

In "The Complete Wilderness Paddler", Peach turned to John and drawled, "For the good of the trip, Jawn, don't chance it." "For the good of the trip" has become one of my watchwords.

The odds are very good you could make the trip without any incident. The odds, if you are a gambler, are very good. But what are the "stakes" in the game? What are you really playing for? It's like skydiving ... the odds are 40,000:1 in your favor that one of your two chutes will deploy for you, IF everything else goes right. 40,000:1 are pretty good odds. I just don't like the stakes in that game. It's something I'd like to have done, but I doubt much if I will at this late stage in life. (I'm about to enter my 8th decade)

"What will I wish I'd done? What will I really wish I hadn't done?" (If you haven't been through some of the latter, keep your eyes open! It can truly be Hell to pay!)
A-a-and, "what would I really advise someone else to do?"

We've all had trips with Other People's Problems. Don't be one. If your physical (or any other) condition will be a problem for others, go another time, pick another group, or just do something else, okay?

Oh, yes, I've swum some of the Big Drops. Lava, for one. You don't really "swim" very much in that stuff. Mostly you just get bashed by the rocks, buried by the waves, held or flushed in a hole, and bubble along until somebody gets to you with a rope or a boat. Or you get stuck somewhere, hopefully where you can breathe. I've never had ANYbody reach me with a rope! People just Do Not Practice Enough! How's your CPR, BTW, in case somebody else needs it? How are Their rescue and Their First Responder skills, in case You need it?

It's been my experience that most of the injuries are to the feet, legs, and limbs, then ... just wear some decent boots, okay? Scrub and disinfect your hands and nails after using the toilet, and hope everybody else does, too. And ... do not play with the snakes and scorpions, though they are not likely to be so active in winter. Basic common sense.

It comes down to your decision, and it's your choice. Not mine. I'm just another old fool.
But remember: "For the good of the trip," my friend, be wise about it.
"They are so very young, and they have so much to lose." (Warren Harding, the old climber)
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016   #33
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
December is half over and the OP hasn't chimed back in. Did you go? You have 30 responses to your thread. Let us know what you decided!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016   #34

Tempe, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
December is half over and the OP hasn't chimed back in. Did you go? You have 30 responses to your thread. Let us know what you decided!
I imagine now that she's IS 6 months pregnant she realized it was a bad idea on her own. My wife stayed super active throughout her pregnancy, but the idea of rafting the GC in December would have been met with laughter at 6 months.
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016   #35

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Or incommunicado in the Canyon...
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016   #36

Tempe, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Or incommunicado in the Canyon...
With her baby on board. My wife had a cousin who is still very upset with me for not letting her run the upper Salt with us when she was six months pregnant. I told her now 17 year old daughter about this and she thanks me.
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016   #37

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I know the op, she did not go. She read the first couple posts, and they confirmed her thoughts that it probably wasn't a good idea.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016   #38
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatin mucho View Post
I know the op, she did not go. She read the first couple posts, and they confirmed her thoughts that it probably wasn't a good idea.
Good! It's great when good advice is solicited, then heeded. Mountain Buzz saves lives.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote