Grand Canyon and pregnant? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-16-2016   #21

Seattle, Washington
As a physician (not an OB/Gyn) I would have to say no. Statistically you would probably be fine, but I have seen too many cases of pre-term labor that were easily fixed by quick access to medical care that would have been disastrous otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016   #22

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I am a family med PA-C going on a private GC trip next year. I'm in charge of all things medical on that trip. If we had a pregnant person going and they refused not to go...then I would drop out of the trip and refuse to go. The liability and risk of harm is just too high. If any of my patients asked me about going on a trip like that while pregnant I would strongly encourage them no to go. my two pennies.
Chuckhaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #23

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
"In modern life we have become crazy fearful about everything that is "natural" and want to minimize risk to the point of not living."

Yes, and average life expectancy was somewhere around 35. Death from childbirth was also very common. Infant mortality rate was also much higher.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #24

cedar city, Utah
I value the word "natural" about as much as I do "authentic" or "chemical". The person who floats the Grand pregnant is living life no more or less fully than the individual who chooses to stay home. How we mitigate risk is highly personal and negates any attempt to so easily define the value of life.

I hope the OP finds the best decision for them and is happy with it in the long run.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #25

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dri24 View Post
Hello. I am looking for opinions regarding rafting the second half of the gc 6 months pregant in December. I am in shape and a low risk pregnancy. So far Im feeling great and the second trimester is suppose to be even better. Can I can I meet everyone a day after lava falls and skip the rapids after phantom ranch? If I do swim what are the chances of hitting a rock? I am not as concerned about the cold or camping since I am use to that but experienced opinions would be appreciated.
You need to ask yourself.......what's the worst that could happen ......on the river......in December.....6 months pregnant.....
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #26

Marietta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
A baby!! How awesome. My striaght forward advice.Take care of that baby. My advice do the responsible thing.That is what parents do.
Shortblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #27

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Why risk it? Take your lovely child later in life.

Flag
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #28

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Really?? There are posts on this thread that stop short of a categoric 'no'? I have never been pregnant[wrong sex!] but am an MD and would strongly advise the OP against something like this. Like others have said, if things started going out of control adequate help may not be available in time.If something bad happened to the baby you would never ever forgive yourself for doing this just to satisfy your ill timed craving for a bit of adventure.

The GC is going to be there for ever and its not going to do you any special favors just because you're pregnant!
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #29

Denver, Colorado
Why not go with your Doctors advice?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Hi H20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #30

White salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 05
Just invite you Doctor!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Trejos is offline   Reply With Quote