Old 09-06-2016   #11
Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I would have to agree with most here and say it's probably not a good idea. My wife and I were on a hike near our house and watched a pregnant woman fall pretty hard. I have no idea is the baby was affected but the look on that mothers face after falling is something I will never forget. You could see was scared and feeling guilty. She said she wished she would have stayed home. I really hope you never have to experience that. I say it's too risky.

Rick A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #12
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Be smart. Do not go on a Grand Canyon trip pregnant.

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #13
The ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Do some research to help you decide. Here's just one paper about streas hormones (cortisol and adrenaline) during pregnancy. after that, your decision will be easier to make
robemega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #14
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Dri24 View Post
Can I meet everyone a day after lava falls and skip the rapids after phantom ranch? If I do swim what are the chances of hitting a rock?
You've got some mixed up geography going on here. Phantom Ranch, which is the only place for private passenger exchanges I know of, is far above Lave Falls and there are lots of significant rapids between Phantom and Lava. Below Lava the commercial outfitters fly passengers out from Whitmore Wash by helicopter but unaware of other ways to get down there, and doubt they'd be flying in December anyway. From that point, I think there are only a few more days on the river.

You also may want to find out more about the hike to Phantom and whether you'd want to do that pregnant.

Good luck figuring it all out,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #15
Logan, Utah
Took a bunch of paddling trips when my wife was pregnant, latest being when she was just over 7 months. We kept things pretty mellow though. If you've got the time, could try something easier - labyrinth-stillwater for example.
We went to Quetico/boundary waters, for the 7+ trip.
ski_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #16
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
This one is easy. No.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #17
Paddling Since: 1994
We had a six month prego on my last trip. She hiked in at phantom and did great. Its ultimately up to you. You know what kind of shape you are in and how you would handle it.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #18
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #19
Custom Whitewater Equipme
Central Point, Oregon
You could hike in at Whitmore (sp?) wash which is below lava. Its the shortest walk but is off the north rim so shuttling rigs and getting to the trail head can be affected by snow conditions.
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #20
Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
A friend was 5 months along for the trip down to Phantom. She took it carefully on rocky hikes to minimize fall risks and rode with the most predictable oarsperson. She wouldn't have missed it for the world. The pictures say it all and we love our "Grand baby". In modern life we have become crazy fearful about everything that is "natural" and want to minimize risk to the point of not living. If a pregnant woman and spouse are comfortable with their choice then it's fine with me and it was fine with our trip leader who is definitely one to cross "i"s and dot "ts". Around the world many women do hard physical labor up to the minute they give birth and many in the US continue to do serious exercise all through their pregnancy. Let's face it we all know there is a much greater risk of injury traveling to the river than being on it.

wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote