Old 02-04-2015   #11
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
It's going to be tight restract... May have to take out a back seat and or get a bumper hitch... frame and oars on top and I'll be off! Did a lot of 4-5 day backpacking trips growing up around Mt Rainer, and that was forty yrs ago... gear's much better now. I also agree that a smaller simpler outfit may lead to taking more spur of the moment trips vs the production of the larger outfits and more people.

dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
yeah scott! I agree... small, light, simple = more trips, in my experience... I go rafting after work. week days... all the time... I spend my time boating and having fun, not rigging and de-rigging...

( mini max, paddle rig... )

GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #13
Paddling Since: 96
10' Jackson Rogue, and LL LP10. 2 of us self support with other kayaks on Deso Grey. We carried a cooler with dry ice. Jet boil, lobster, shrimp, steak, pesto chicken, salmon, turkey, fresh veggies. The meals were mostly precooked and frozen. Breakdown firepan with grill, groover tube, tent, sheets, pillows, chairs. Yup, we had to pack tighter and more carefully than a raft but we were living large. I plan to glue in layers of mini cell behind the bulkhead and make a built in cooler for this year's trips.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #14
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
When I'm bckpacking, exchanging cornwhiskey for beer goes along way, obviously (I prefer my cornwhisky neat and warm). Also unrefrigerateds item to eat so you don't have to carry a cooler. Think dry sausages (like soprasseta) and hard cheeses (like parmesan), oatmeal w/ TVP dried fruit and nuts, flavored foil packed tuna, pita bread, peanut butter, honey, jerky and even olive oil to drink (just a lil bit).

Other things I try to adhere to: Only 2 sets of synthetic clothes (not including outerwear), hammock, water filter and I LOVE my helinox chair!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #15
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
If you have backpacking or bike touring experience, you'll have no issues in a 12'er for two. Just need to decide where to splurge with all the stuff you can carry. In reality, I can and do carry a _lot_ more on my small raft than I ever could on my back or bike.

Still looking for a good chair to replace my REI folder (slowly going bad) so I appreciate the above comments on these.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #16
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
We're not downsizing, but starting small instead. Just purchased a used mini-max and are thinking about documenting the entire build on MB.

The choice to go small was driven mostly by the need for everything to fit in the ambulance we live in during the summers. For us, just the ability to go boating on our own is vacation enough, no need for steaks/pounds of ice (...yet). Plus, having your kit dialed enough to fit in a 10.5 foot boat is pretty sick.

Good move on the 12ft! That size is perfect. Multi-day trip, huck with the hard boaters, or surf at a play spot.
no_big_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #17
Sounds like you're having fun, and keeping it simple. I spent a couple years off and on in a long bed 63' Govt van that we got from a GSA auction in the late sixties ($640)... ski bumming, beaches, kayaking, (even what would be downtown Vail now). Never owned enough to have to worry about over crowding! Looking backk , those trips were as much fun as anything I've done lately with all the comforts of home... Good Luck Did you get the Orange Mini Max that was listed here a few months ago? By the time I decided to go for it , it was gone...
Old 02-04-2015   #18
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here's some pictures of my 12 foot Hyside that I used to have. I sure miss that little raft, it was a hoot. Sold it and my 14 ft. cataraft to buy my 14 ft. Sotar raft. These pics are from a 7 day Deso trip. I had one dry box and a 52 Qt. cooler on the raft.

On the chairs....The Helinox and the TravelChair Joey are pretty much the same except the Joey is about 2 inches taller. I got the Joey because I have a bum knee, and getting in & out of it was easier. The new Joey models have a better foot on them now, with a wider base to prevent sinking in the sand. These are really nice, comfy camp chairs that pack up really small.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #19
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
... it takes rafters to purchase more gear to carry less gear.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #20
Thanks for the heads up... looks like the helinox chair will be on my list ...That 14 ' Sotar sure looks nice, but looking forward to a small boat for a while at least, looked at the 13, but it seemed too big to be small and too small to be big... sometimes life just needs simplifying... have gotten some great tips here... Check out Lucy lights... I ordered a couple along with a 1lb refillable propane tank that was rec'd...