Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 09-25-2015   #21
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Well yeah, cause I wouldn't go on a grand trip with you unless you brought extra........and I mean a LOT OF EXTRA ............. beer.

Also, one should be wary of groups who advertise
"Looking for strong support craft for 15 kayakers. Work and costs shared equally."
hahaa....I always remember the raft guys being grumpy about that on the westwater trips. The one time that I've been that guy it was ok since I was a kayaker too. I always went above and beyond to make it easier on them and to make sure I did things how they wanted.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #22
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
Trips in the Hole

1976 -My first ever trip in the Hole was too long and too hot of puking hung over people who knew each other except for the poor guy that signed on to row the over loaded snout. LSD anyone??? oh you didn't know that bottle had the electric cool aid. And the guy that about drowned in 76 mile that said he could kayak. Oh lets spend a week below Diamond in early June.

1978 As the permit holder, the second was an exciting journey of 6 unknowns like the guy who had "experience as a guide" on the Taos Box tying in with burlap bags and then stepping his foot through the tube on his Udisco at mile 23. This was actually a really good trip because every one was scared and certain they were going to die! OH MY GOD HORN CREEK at 5000!

That was fun - let's do it again. As the party of largely unknowns was pulled over at North Canyon in the quickly fading late February evening watched as the "experienced guide and his passenger went sailing by pulling on a bottle of Yukon Jack" on down around the bend. It's nearly dark and oh well they have food and bedding and are big boys - not going to risk the safety of the group to chase a couple of idiots. That worked ok until one showed up a few hours later having hiked upstream in the dark screaming about how we didn't go after them. REALLY. Oh did I mention that was the guy with the GGGGun - It is wilderness after all and was concerned about his personal belongings. Who knows where the other one ended up - boat completely de rigged on the beach at South Canyon. A true trip from hell with no way out.

After that it was solo all the way through the high water years of the middle 1980s kayaking or my 14 ft bucket with my best friend. We pretty much saw it all - clean beaches, hangin in the shade, running the big juice with no ramping nightmares.

Now it's double launching primates, norovirus- ICK- and a whole array of social issues with the confinement of the HOLE.

the end

minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015   #23
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
Meeting folks before a trip is like going on a date. Doesn't really reflect married life after launch. I have met some folks here I would launch with again... others I would not. I launched at about end of october last year... weather was sunny and warm. It can be quite cold and drizzly. Pack options. ..

sleighr is online now   Reply With Quote