getting to deso - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2017   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
getting to deso

RE: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/n...ote=1&p=358388

The OP of this thread asked specifically about the merits of the north vs. south routes into Sand Wash. It evolved into a discussion about airplane shuttles.

I can say I agree with all the favorable comments about them being a very special treat as well as an economical shuttle option. Ya the midnight drive sucks, but that effort is always well worth the reward. The flights from Hite to Mineral Bottom and Green River to Sand Wash are a once in a lifetime opportunity. Now that my kids are old enough to drive, I'll send them on shuttle and let them enjoy a fucking cool airplane ride.

All that said, it has been over a decade of gas development since I've been to Deso, can anyone provide current info on the two driving routes into Sand Wash?

Thanks!

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017   #2

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
We used wrinkle road and it was in pretty good shape a couple weeks ago. Some folks we talked to at the take out said sand wash was terrible but I have never gone that way. Wrinkle road was hard packed dirt with tar sprayed on it.
Rick A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
We used wrinkle road and it was in pretty good shape a couple weeks ago. Some folks we talked to at the take out said sand wash was terrible but I have never gone that way. Wrinkle road was hard packed dirt with tar sprayed on it.
I used Sandwash Rd July 7th and I can't say it was terrible. Maybe not quite as nice as packed dirt with tar sprayed on it but it wasn't terribly washboard or rutted out either. I think most of the time I was doing about 25mph until the end when the turns tighten up but overall felt like the road was in good shape. Never been the other way.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017   #4

Henderson, Nevada
I'm at home now looking at my Utah Road and Recreation Atlas. Soldier Creek road and Nine Mile Canyon road are blacktop. Once you hit the turnoff to Wrinkle Rd. You get the hard pack with tar but you lose the tar and hit a super dusty but
decent stretch before you get to the river.
Old 07-17-2017   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
We have a Deso trip coming up, and I'm tired of Sand Wash. Trying to piece together the Nine Mile Canyon route but Mapquest isn't cooperating. This is the famous, Nine Mile with all the rock art, right? I can see where the asphalt ends (or more like it turns into Cottonwood Cny Rd), but where do you turn off Nine Mile to get to Wrinkle Rd, and does that go to Sandwash Rd? Also, does it get like real 4-wheeling rough, or more like you just need some ground clearance? Any guidance is appreciated.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017   #6

Henderson, Nevada
Nine Mile Canyon Rd does have many petroglyphs there were signs at both turns and though I do have a F250 I never needed 4 wheel drive. Clearance was not an issue either, from what I can tell sand wash requires more clearance. I did not have any problems but the shuttle company did drag and bend my trailor jack. So even though I have never been on sand wash it appears you need more ground clearance for it than the southern route.
Old 07-22-2017   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I live in Grand Junction and distances for both routes from here are about the same. I've driven both ways but I'm going south in Sept. The highways are 4 lanes and driving is faster and easier. Nine Canyon is now paved quite a way so you"ll spend less time on the gravel and dirt roads. The draw down to the launch site is tough whichever way you go.
smhoeher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Good to know it's the same time north or south. I'll try Nine Mile, but still trying to figure out where you turn off to Wrinkle Rd, and then to Sand Wash I guess? Or is it just kinda obvious?
Old 07-24-2017   #9

Henderson, Nevada
There is a sign at the turnoff to Wrinkle Rd and a sign at Wrinkle Rd. I have a hard time posting pictures here but if you PM me your email, I will send you a picture of a good map of the area. The Utah Road and Recreation atlas has damn near every dirt road in Utah and is well worth the $25.
Old 07-24-2017   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks Rick. Just ordered the Utah Atlas off Amazon; only $20!