lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Nice. I assume you are 72.
I'm Just 68, but planning ahead.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #22
Commercial Paleontology
Age is just a number.......

This feels like a tooting of our own horn type post but what the hec..Why not?
I'm 57. Didn't start Kayaking till I was 49 to supplement my rock & ice climbing , Mtn biking, trail running with my 3 Australian Cattle dogs etc. Generally playing with folks 20+ years younger. Don't consider myself a solid class 5 river runner but typically have run plenty of class 5 rapids & generally get on Escalante, Upper A, Granite thru the Numbers, all kinds of stuff on the East coast, did the Grand a couple years ago, Middle fork high water etc.etc. Unfortunately I just broke my colarbone dirt biking a week or so ago & will miss most of this kayak season. Boo hoo..

I encourage everyone to not give much thought to age. As long as you are out there having fun keeping in shape with your sports no matter what they are & what level or degree more Power to ya! That's what keeps ya young! And then you can just laugh at those youngsters who think they are starting to get old as they approach 40

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #23
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
This feels like a tooting of our own horn type post but what the hec..Why not?
I'm 57.
Yeah, but I love it! Mostly because I figured most of you guys were 28 until this thread started. Now I understand the Buzzards part of Mtnbuzz much clearer
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #24
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I'm 53 and still kayak Class V. Ran Black Canyon of the Gunnison for the 10th time last season. Still showing young guys how to do it and enjoy being a mentor and partner to them. What hasn't been mentioned in this thread that is something that I enjoy the most about boating (and backcountry skiing) at this age is the wisdom that I have gained about skills, judgement, planning, safety, fear and life in general. As long as my body holds out I will continue to run the shit and ski the big lines. Life is good as a 50 something boater/backcountry skier.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #25
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Back in 2010 AW devoted an issue of the Journal to the topic "Boating Beyond Youth" and had a shot of Blair Samuelson on the cover floating on the Grand Canyon on our spring '09 trip. That was 6 years ago, Blair just finished another Grand trip a few weeks ago.

Click here to download a PDF of that issue.

Keep on Boatin'

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #26
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1955
Originally Posted by View Post
My first trip was about 54 years ago on the Yampa. Rowed my own boat 2010 down the GC. Only thing that has changed is the size of my Social Security check the last few years. I try to do 3-4 class 4+ trips a year and several float fish trips. I figure anyone under 60 should be just getting warmed up for the next couple of decades of river fun and anyone over 72 should not have to do groover duty anymore. I raft with guy's older than me. Dying on a couch watching TV is not in my plans.
Damn. I was hoping that when I hit Medicare in December I would be exempt groover duty. Seven more years kind of sucks. You would be one of the few that had a chance to see the Yampa before it was over run with boaters and Federal regulations. A phone call to the Monument headquarters to let them know you were launching was the only requirement in those days.. I am pretty sure that my first Yampa was 1955 or 56.
cahatch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #27
Hi Tom,

Yeah, a Geezer Cruise would be just the thing. Sit around the fire, trade orthopedic surgery stories and brag about getting medicare to pay for a power stair lift -- what could be better?

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #28
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi Tom,

Yeah, a Geezer Cruise would be just the thing. Sit around the fire, trade orthopedic surgery stories and brag about getting medicare to pay for a power stair lift -- what could be better?

Rich Phillips
We could be like that scene from Jaws and sit around comparing river injuries and scars.
Tom Hansen
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015   #29
. ., Kairotic
OK kiddos, I'll join the old folks bragging/commiserating club. I just turned 47, and I've been kayaking since 1985.

Last year I kayaked Vallecito 30 times and the Bakers Box section of the Animas 30 times. I kayaked Vallecito four times in one day. I also did numerous runs on Gore Canyon at 3,000 cfs, and ran the North Fork of the Payette many times at 2,000 cfs. I had a total of 119 days paddling in 2014.

Three years ago I kayaked the Middle Kings--that entails hauling 80+ pounds of gear 12 miles over 12,000 foot Bishop's Pass, and then self-support kayaking stout Class V for five days.

I've adopted mantras and maxims about running rivers to stay youthful, and I've contemplated the difficulties of boating harder whitewater while getting older. I've stopped and felt serenity amidst the liquid chaos of the eddy at the bottom of Plunger, and I've found solace in the agonizing footsteps of the UTB hike. For me, kayaking is about being in the world, experiencing the moment, feeling momentarily satiated, and then getting ready for the next day on the river. This hasn't changed in 30 years.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015   #30
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am not even that old, but I have gotten a bit out of shape in the last few years. Last year I took a swiftwater class and I was surprisingly winded after our first mandatory rapid swim. 10-15 years ago, I would have took a shot of tequila and jumped into that rapid just for the hell of it. It made me think a little bit.

There is a difference between having lots of big water experience and being in the physical condition to handle big swims and self rescue. Things like raising kids and changing occupations can have a big effect on your physical condition and you do have to remember who you are right now, and not who you used to be.

I'm fine with boating class 5, I just don't want to swim it.

mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote