Old 03-28-2016   #11
Craigamerica, -
Kind of seems a day late a dollar short to do this. Sounds like Dave Uberuaga is trying to cover his own ass and throwing who ever he can under the bus.
Three of the four people don't even work for the park anymore and its unclear by the articles if Dave Loeffler still even works in the boating department anymore.
Its to bad Dave Desrosiers let this get so out of hand. When I've seen him on the river always seemed like a good guy and for the most part a stickler for the rules. Looks like he retired last year before Uberuaga let the axe fall or maybe he was told to? From the articles I've read his role was more complacent attitude to what Little Dave and Bryan where doing on the river.
The Huffington Post article seems to church some things up "The pair even erected a memorial to Edwards in the boat shop, said two former employees: a crude bust of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns with Edwards’ name written on the base in Sharpie. The implication was clear: Edwards had been martyred." I don't think this was done to symbolize him being a martyr as much as the dude looks a lot like Ole' JC Himself.
I can see the Park service contracting out research trips and VIP trips. My big question is what about the River Rescue and recovery part of it? Both Big and Little Dave where usually the ones in charge of this stuff. Guess we'll find out when some one parks a motor rig in the rocks below Crystal.

No one cares that you are a river guide
sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #12
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I've ran into Bryon on the river a couple of times. A very generous guy. We ran out of propane once and he gave us a full bottle. I didn't let that go unrewarded, I gave him a good bottle of Glenlivet 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #13
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Last ranger I encountered in GC gave a spare stove to a group who lost theirs in a flip.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #14
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
Last ranger I encountered in GC gave a spare stove to a group who lost theirs in a flip.
The Raft unit was a completely separate group from the River Rangers and LEOs down there. The Raft Unit was a group of boatmen that ran trips for dignitaries, researchers, and other groups determined by the NPS as needing access to the Grand Canyon or some part of it.

I think all members of the Raft unit have been reassigned.

Also, I'm sure the guys on the Raft unit who were found to have acted inappropriately did plenty of folks favors, and swapped stories and beers with lots of river runners down there. Likely they were all "great guys" and fun to hang around with. Unfortunately that doesn't mean there weren't capable of being pigs to the women they were taking down the river or working with.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #15
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2016
Originally Posted by Mattchu View Post
Screw the government and there bullshit boondoggle ologists. Study shit to death, pay hippies to cruise rivers etc...

Private is always better than .gov. end the fed. No mas .gov, no more national parks, no mas "wilderness" areas. Allow shit ting horses and cows, but not mountain bikes? Wtf? Oh, that's right, in MeRica, he who has money or rank makes the rules and floatsee the rivers.

I worked for government. Only thing they good for is bombing 3rd world countries. Hell, they so stupid they can't even win wars anymore.

Strange worldo these days. Go.trump!
Oh, so you just read Desert Solitaire...
duch2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #16
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
No way they are getting raises and they may yet lose their job. It will be investigated further. I'm retired FS and once you get things stirred up the Feds take it very seriously, they can come down like a ton of bricks. Hot mess is right. Guess the goobers out there would rather have a free for all, imagine what a fun trip fighting for campsites with thousands. No thanks, and I get my river permits exactly like everyone else no favors.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #17
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
From the link:

None of the six employees lost their jobs, agency spokeswoman Vanessa Lacayo said.

The January report by the Interior Department's Office of Inspector General found that male employees who have worked in the river district preyed on female colleagues, demanded sex and retaliated against women who refused.
Someone should get fired over that.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote