Old 06-27-2015   #1
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
GC motorized/oar hybid trip

My boating group will be doing a Grand trip in early September and the TL told us that if we take a 22' snout, we would only be allowed to take 3-4 oar boats. There are 16 people going and we had planned on 6-7 boats and the snout. He stated that the River Office, "based on their judgement and expertise, that we would only need to bring 3 or 4 oar boats".
I have read the regulations and found nothing that states the number of boats, only 1 motorized per private trip.
Has anyone else heard of this this "suggested" number of boats concerning a hybrid trip?
Is this a written rule or is it someones heavy handed opinion?
Thanks in advance for any info you can drop our way.

briantcinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #2

There have been some changes in their approach to this in the last few years, and I have the impression they are tightening up. I think where you have to focus is here, from the non-commercial regulations:

"The purpose of the motorized watercraft must be to carry gear and provide support. The hybrid option is not available if the trip's non-motorized craft are capable of safely hauling all of the trip's gear"

I have no way of knowing if your oar rigs would -- in the eyes of the Park and in terms of size and capacity -- be incapable of "safely hauling" all the stuff you plan to bring. And I don't know how they make that determination, either. I have never heard of a numerical boat limit, but that doesn't mean they don't have something like that as an internal discriminator.

(I mean, if kayakers can self-support down there, what raft or combination of rafts would really need a motor rig for support? I think it's a sort of unworkable characterization, but there it is.)

My best advice would be to call the River Office again, and talk to someone some more about it before you send in your permit application. The folks there are very good with "customer service". Give them an accurate description of your actual boats. That way, if they issue you a hybrid permit, you don't have ranger issues at the Ferry. And if they say your proposed fleet doesn't qualify for hybrid status, you can recalibrate at home, rather than on the ramp.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #3
page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
bring a small paddle raft and you can say the motor rig is supporting the paddlers on said boat....
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks for the info Rich.
10 years ago we had no problems with taking a motorized rig.
Times change I guess.
we will still have a lot of fun, regardless of the boat situation.
briantcinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #5
Hi Brian,

FYI, years ago, I was on a three person, 21 day trip where I rowed a 20' Jack's cat, along with a fellow motoring an identical 20' Jacks cat.

Two huge boats and only three people, but it was permitted as a hybrid trip. Under the current regulation, that trip would be impossible to categorize that way. In another discussion, I some day might offer my more complete thoughts on that...

In any event, hang in there, and good luck on getting things firmed up.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote