Old 06-11-2014   #21
I would also be curious to know what it's like out there. More specifically whether to bring the long boat to surf glassy waves or a playboat if there are any fun features.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #22
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Also interested to get any info on camps. Are they under water? Excited about the flows though, love "above recommended" levels!

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #23
evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
High water beta

Ok buzzards, I just came off Lodore. All the camps are fine we stayed at pot 2 rippling brook 2 limestone and the for the rapids winnies rock was covered. Upper and lower Disaster are now combined into one long rapid it had several large boat eater holes and very large grand canyon style waves and laterals. The water is big and pushy. The landings in camps are pretty tough. Triplet was a hard pull to the left with a large hole at the bottom. Hells had a nice clean line right down the gut through some waves that look like they will crush you. Harp falls was a giant wave train. There was current all the way from put in to take out. We made 15 miles in 3 hours. Whirlpool was cake. Split mountain was easy, very washed out just pushy current. HAVE FUN BE SAFE.

levels i ran were 8900 in lodore. at right about 20k below the confluence.
itwco14006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #24
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the report! Sounds fun, can't wait, launch next Friday.
P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #25
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I just got off Lodore as well, and I might add a few things. Harp was huge. Four really fun haystacks that reminded me of Hermit. They got bigger as the wavetrain continued; completely runable. We were moving so fast that we missed the scout for Upper Disaster. Two big diagonals off the left could flip somebody drifting and not teed up. It was fun to see big green tongues of water again. Hells was diddle-diddle.
On a different note....The mosquitos were the worst I have ever endured there. Cove camp was a nightmare. Bring a screen house if you have one. The mosquitos here will laugh at your Skin-So-Soft. They vexed us all the way to Rainbow.
" The Dude abides....."
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #26
steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
looking for boats or bodies ??

have 18' cataraft. would love to float more. if you're lookin for rubber or bodies for your permit let me know. not lookin to get paid. pay expenses like everybody else.
pablo1652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #27
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Question on the mosquitos. You mentioned they were bad at cove, but I have heard they are frequently bad at Cove/Big Island/Island park. Did anyone have any issues at Pot Creek, Rippling Brook, or Jones Hole? Those are my sites for an early July launch.

Hoping the skeeters aren't a huge downer. With the river flow so high, actul time in camp may be much higher than in years past.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #28
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
We stayed @ Rippling Brook #1 exactly a week ago (6/10) - no bugs. Saw a deer swim from just upstream of our camp to river left bar. Jones Hole #1 next night (6/11) - no bugs. Cove for last night (6/12) place was lousy with skeeters and they were hungry. I finally doped up and let another 20' out of bowline so boat was out in current, but got no peace until I killed maybe 500 or so... Bad all around Island park and all the way to entrance to Split Mtn. None at takeout. But I pity Gray-Des floaters in next few weeks... take bugs nets, DEET, and neutron bomb if you have one...
P.S. We had 9600 at launch and over 20k when Yampa came in. Took less than an hour to float Island Park, still had skeeters on the boat at 9 AM... Rapids in Lodore were GC style, water was big and fast and you needed to make moves WAY earlier than you thought. Flows down now but be safe, discuss rescue scenarios and "what if" BEFORE you need to make decisions.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #29
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sunken Drift Boat

Did you see a partially (or fully) sunken drift boat at the runout below lower Disaster Falls? It belongs to a family friend of mine who ran it with me two weeks ago when the Green was around 4600. He had flotation compartments in the bow and stern, but after flipping in the big water in Lower Disaster, it wasn't upside-down-floating very well and pinned on a near-surface rock in the class II below and the river flowed over the top. The front of the boat went over the rock and the back caught and the boat settled over the rock, so it was basically upside down with the rock right in the middle of the boat, and was 95% submerged. There wasn't anything we could do with it at that level. At that level, you could have passed it in a raft without noticing it was anything but a rock if you didn't look closely. It seemed like at least one of the compartments hadn't maintained airtightness because it really wasn't floating much before it went down. With the big spike in flows last week I assume the wreck either dislodged and "floated" downstream until the next pin or echo park, or is just totally under water and won't be retrievable until much lower flows.

It was definitely a tough and expensive learning experience for my friend--that boat was definitely not qualified for a high water Dolores trip. I wouldn't want to be rowing anything less than a Grand Canyon Dory at those levels, as far as hard boats go. We had a big enough group that it didn't totally ruin the trip, the food and critical gear was on rafts. He did lose a pricey boat and a nice partner stove, though (at least for now).
roberts81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #30
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
It is still pinned where you describe. You could barely make out the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

" The Dude abides....."
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote