Gates of Lodore (9k footage) - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Gates of Lodore (9k footage)

It's always nice to see the rapids before hitting new river and/or level. I made this to share for the folks who are heading out. Hope it helps.

Level: 8,900 cfs
Water temp: 47F (cold!!!)

I've ran all rapids the safest way possible, overshot the Hells a bit though.

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rifle, Colorado
Great footage! I launch next week Wednesday in my 12' raft so I'm hoping to also run safer lines. Was anything overly difficult? Did you have any trouble scouting anything? Seems like I keep hearing that people are missing the scout for lower disaster.

Also hoping that water temp comes up a bit!

Thanks for the video though, looks like it's going to be a wild ride!
JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Thank you!

You scout Lower from the same eddie as you would Upper. Just walk farther down. The rapids look much more intimidating from the shore than they do from the boat. If you want a safer route, I believe my run through disasters was very safe ( I could have easily taking my family and not make them walk). In a 12' you will have a MUCH bigger run than me.

Disaster won't give you much trouble if you take the left sneak. Harps will give you a ride of your lifetime, just make sure to keep your bow pointed down and keep laying into the oars when you are going up the wave.

Hells is big, scout it, center line is pretty much the only way to run it at this level. Watch for a few laterals on the right bellow Lucifer and then further down on the left.

I doubt water will warm up much, I was wearing a dry suit with a thin layer marino wool. I felt very comfortable rowing, but once I jumped into the water... it was COLD!!! So any swimmers rescue should be taken very seriously. With out a drysuit/wetsuit, a swimmer will be hyporthermic within minutes.

Have a great time, the river moves fast! Get ready for camps early, we had one boat overshoot Pot Creek 1.
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Lower Disaster washes out at these higher flows but a new rapid forms in between what is Lower and Upper at more typical and lower flows. This is the one that surprises people. It can be scouted by walking quite a ways down from the Upper scout until you get to the left turning bend in the river after the island (be careful for poison ivy). This "Middle Disaster" rapid gets tricky with a few hundred less cfs than in the video as the left side sneak gets much tighter.
JohnPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Nice video! Harp looked like a fun ride!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPowell View Post
This "Middle Disaster" rapid gets tricky with a few hundred less cfs than in the video as the left side sneak gets much tighter.

Agreed with John. I ran it at ~7200 just before Memorial Day and that sneak was narrower than the width of my raft, which meant plowing full steam into that curler. With momentum and teeing up, it's just an exciting wet ride for your passengers.

That video is great; the only element that doesn't translate is how much the river wants to pull you into the Birth Canal in Triplet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote