Old 10-12-2014   #1
cedar city, Utah
Fringe Season Single Boat Trip(s)

So my wife and I are heading out for a long single boat trip for our anniversary in just a bit. We will be floating Deso, a stretch we know well and love. I have done solo and single boat trips. I have done fringe season trips. But I have never run this time of year alone. Our systems are down pretty good and we have plenty of gear to go loaded for bear but its likely that others have experienced lessons that I have not.

Any suggestions? Must haves? Avoid at all cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice that may help us have a better and more enjoyable adventure. Can't wait to see Deso in the autumn...been talking about this for years.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #2
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
My GF and I often go on solo trips. Hope to do a solo GC trip one of these days. The one thing we're really, really glad we brought on our solo Main trip this August was a 16' x 16' (Noah's)tarp. We've used a 12' x 12' in the past and the additional coverage made a huge difference. I will add that it was one of the rainiest/windiest Main trips we've every done.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #3
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I'd have a sat-based communication device- at least a Spot

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Some sort of Muck boots. I use Kamik (less expensive version of Bogs) that have neoprene uppers. They'll keep your feet warm and dry in camp & when getting stuff off your raft when your feet might get wet. I also used some Seal Skinz mid-weight knee high socks on a recent MF trip and loved them. As long as you don't submerge them, they will keep your feet warm & dry on the river. Even if water does go over the tops, they are still pretty warm. I wore mine almost every day while rowing. I got mine from ACK. They have some size small of the discontinued model (the one's I have) in their outlet for a little less $$. Maybe these would fit your wife.

SealSkinz Mid-Weight Knee-Length Waterproof Socks - - Product Details
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Fringe Season Single Boat Trip(s)

This is an item that could really be useful. Pretty much a guarantee you will have a fire. Have fun Phillip. I am jealous. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1413144460.601271.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	9024

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #6
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It is your anniversary after all....

Personal Lubricants, Massage Oils, Moisturizers, & Intimacy Products | K-YŽ Brand Lubricants & Moisturizers
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #7
cedar city, Utah
Thanks for the ideas so far. Keep throwing them out.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #8
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Delorme has a low cost ($300) Iridium satellite communicator called the inReach. You can text to cell phones or email or hit the SARLink network if you have a real emergency (same as a EPIRB or PLB). Monthly charges are inexpensive and you only need activate it when you're doing a trip. I've used these tor text communications and they work great.
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #9
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Sembob - I have one of those torches, and you're right, they work great. Way more BTUs than the cheap ones and it sparks every time.
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014   #10
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I did a solo trip down Deso a few years ago. I put in on Halloween, and didn't see a single person the entire time. Really neat experience.

I brought a Spot(in a waterproof case in a jacket pocket), and a drybag securely lashed to the with a pin kit and some spare clothes. I wasn't particularly worried about getting into trouble on Deso, but figured i'd be cautious. It was nice to be able to send my wife a spot message letting her know i was ok when i got to camp each night.

atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote