Mountain Buzz banner

Frame Questions?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  tmacc 
#1 ·
I have a 4 bay frame (NRS) and I am wanting to attach some side rails and a front hatch cover to it. I do not want to weld anything, so I am going to use wood. What is the best way to attach it to the frame? I was thinking about using muffler clamps of big hose clamps. I looked through most of the frame ideas and do not see how people are attaching it. My front "hatch cover" will be attached using my frame bag straps. I am looking for ideas or pictures. Thanks I can also post pictures of my frame if it's useful. Thanks
Tony

#4 ·
My side boards are tied on with flat webbing, some folks use U-bolts, shorty cam straps are probly the easiest option for taking them on and off, you can either drill holes for the straps, or even better, cut some 1" slots with a router.
Watcha using to coat your plywood? Think I'm going to experiment with oil based deck stain when I re-do mine this summer.

#6 ·
I strap mine on too and use the drop bag straps for the front. I'd steer clear of deckover- BTDT. I'd use a good quality paint or varnish then add aluminum oxide powder in the last coat. It'll leave a similar texture but be way more durable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#7 ·
You may want to get a piece of 1 1/2" angle aluminium and attach it the the under side of the inside edge. Then notch the down leg of the angle where the cross bars contact it. This will provide and structure for the inside of the board so it doesn't sag when some big boy walks on it.

I have had good luck with boiled linseed oil to treat the wood. It does require a week dry time but its worth the wait.

Have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.