Flying Beer Into Indian Creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2016   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Flying Beer Into Indian Creek?

We have a July 27th launch on the MF. The flows are looking like they will be below 2ft if the current drop in flow continues. Can anyone recommend a service to fly beer and other possible supplies into Indian Creek? Any idea on cost? I'm trying to figure how this will calculate into the overall group costs.

Thanks all.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
We used to use Salmon Air out of Salmon to fly us into Indian Creek, but as of two summers ago, they had stopped flying into the back country following a tragic crash. We then used McCall Aviation out of Challis and they were great.

You could also talk with Greg at Canyons Inc. to see if they are flying guests into Indian Creek at that time for their commercial trips. You might be able to piggyback stuff with them or another outfitter??????

Have a great trip!
Old 06-19-2016   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The concept of flying beer into a river trip within a wilderness is confusing to me. Is 2' so low that you can't bring more than a case of beer for a short week? If so, just spend that money on some good North American whiskey from Canada, Kentucky, Mexico (some there call it tequila), or PT if you're short on space.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
The concept of flying beer into a river trip within a wilderness is confusing to me. Is 2' so low that you can't bring more than a case of beer for a short week? If so, just spend that money on some good North American whiskey from Canada, Kentucky, Mexico (some there call it tequila), or PT if you're short on space.
We're doing a 7 day trip. A case of beer wouldn't last two days. Hard liquor is great, but you just can't do a 7 day MF trip without beer. That would be like having a turkey leg without Schlitz! Griff would not be happy.

All kidding aside, we will be packing pretty light and have big boats. There is some concern with the group that the beer might add some extra boat dragging the first couple of days. We will also have a Katadyn filter so we won't need to bring water for 7 days. This should help supplement the weight so we can take more beer.
Old 06-19-2016   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Good idea bringing the big boats. In my experience on the MF at low flows (as low as ~1.45' when we launched), the tough spots aren't width/length issues, but draft. If you've got the same load in a bigger boat, you'll be better off.

The one exception I can think of to that is the rapid below Trail Flat Hot Spring. It's VERY tricky (impossible?) to get through without some pushing/pulling when it gets very low. Stay to the left-ish, and try to make some improbable moves.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016   #6

Othello, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
I lost a son to alcohol several months ago (liver failure). I have rafted the MF many times with and w/o beer. If you can't spend a week on one of the nicest rivers in the country w/o beer, you may need to examine why you seek the solitude our Wild and Scenic Rivers offer you. I care little about folks who need the buzz of a case of beer every day to feel up to snuff, but if you would, check back in 20-30 years and let me know how alcohol has improved your life.
dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugger View Post
I lost a son to alcohol several months ago (liver failure). I have rafted the MF many times with and w/o beer. If you can't spend a week on one of the nicest rivers in the country w/o beer, you may need to examine why you seek the solitude our Wild and Scenic Rivers offer you. I care little about folks who need the buzz of a case of beer every day to feel up to snuff, but if you would, check back in 20-30 years and let me know how alcohol has improved your life.
My condolences. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Rivers are special places and I'm sure you have many fond memories of spending time on the river together. I'm in my mid 50's, so I've been around a little while. I didn't mean to imply we "need" beer or alcohol for that matter to enjoy the time or solitude of the river. This is a trip of a lifetime for some folks, so I would not want to restrict beverage or food if there are viable options. Looking back 20 - 30 years I think I've done quite well.
Old 06-21-2016   #8

Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
Wow... Quite the post Dugger.

Sorry to hear about your son, but coming here to push your anti-alcohol agenda is a joke. Answer questions, be helpful, or keep your comments to yourself. Your post has contributed nothing to our community.

Keeping it on topic:
I try to bring IPA, imperials, etc... On river trips the higher ABV means we have to carry less beers!
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #9

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Our largish group last year in mid August (1.6 when we launched) flew in 4 or 5 fully loaded coolers and some beer to indian creek. for 18 people it cost us about $40 a head to fly all that in if memory serves.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
Our largish group last year in mid August (1.6 when we launched) flew in 4 or 5 fully loaded coolers and some beer to indian creek. for 18 people it cost us about $40 a head to fly all that in if memory serves.
Just what I wanted to hear. I appreciate the input. What service did you use? We'll have about 17 - 18 on the trip.

Tags
beer