Flying Beer Into Indian Creek? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2016   #11

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Which flying service you use depends on your route to the put in. And how much gear you are flying in. Everyone has 206s and they will carry about 900 to 1000 typically. If it fits it flies.

If you need more, the. The only options are George Doris out of cascade with the only Twin Islander flying back country at 1650 lb payload, or Dave with Middle Fork aviation out of challis/salmon with a Beaver (?) at 2000 lbs.

Not sure what is going on with McCall Aviation/Salmon Air...they are/were the same company but their rates are outrageous I've heard. If coming thru McCall go with Mike Doris with Sawtooth Flying Service. Oh yeah, Arnold Aviation out of Cascade.

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016   #12

valley co, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1990
just flew into sulpher creek lodge this am for breakfast, about 5 miles from mf put in, with arnold aviation out of cascade. a 206 was $260. Indian creek is a bit further so a touch more cash. Ray gave us a mf air tour on the way back, boundry looked like a bit of a cluster. Arnold phone # 208-382-4844.
dtyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016   #13
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugger View Post
I lost a son to alcohol several months ago (liver failure). I have rafted the MF many times with and w/o beer. If you can't spend a week on one of the nicest rivers in the country w/o beer, you may need to examine why you seek the solitude our Wild and Scenic Rivers offer you. I care little about folks who need the buzz of a case of beer every day to feel up to snuff, but if you would, check back in 20-30 years and let me know how alcohol has improved your life.
While I feel your pain and I am sorry for your loss, your judgement of others is both harsh and unnecessary. I care about almost everyone. Even those who choose to drink too much beer at times. A few have earned an exception.

I personally don't drink beer anymore, but did consume 3 liters of whiskey on a five day trip.

If you would check back in 20 years and tell me how putting scorn and judgement on others, has improved your life.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016   #14

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't always drink beer but when I do its on the MFS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016   #15

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyh View Post
just flew into sulpher creek lodge this am for breakfast, about 5 miles from mf put in, with arnold aviation out of cascade. a 206 was $260. Indian creek is a bit further so a touch more cash. Ray gave us a mf air tour on the way back, boundry looked like a bit of a cluster. Arnold phone # 208-382-4844.
Thanks for the info.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #16
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
If you are coming from North Utah you need to think about where you need to drop your gear. Easiest is Stanley. Last time I checked a plane out of there was around $500 for a 206 ( 900lbs which is a lot). Or somewhere under $400 for MF Aviation out of Challis.

To drive to Cascade from Stanley is about three hours with summer traffic or more. Minus about 20 minutes for Boundary turnoff road, but still pretty major. Could go I-84 to Boise, Horseshoe Bend, Banks and up on your way as well then you only have the return 3 hour.

Challis is one hour from Stanley give or take. Depends on whether it is worth saving $100 to $200 vs. an extra 3 to 6 hours driving.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #17

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
Just what I wanted to hear. I appreciate the input. What service did you use? We'll have about 17 - 18 on the trip.
We used McCall Air
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #18

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
McCall Aviation/Salmon Air are the same company on two different certificates. I have also heard about some DRAMA. Not sure what the latest is. MF Aviation is who I would use , but as stated, It makes a difference where your coming from.
durangloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #19

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Flying in gear

We are using Sawtooth Flying Service next week. 208-630-3646. They quoted us $425 to fly in 1000# Stanley to Indian Creek. Very easy to work with and professional. You leave the coolers and gear at the airstrip and they deliver it on the day you request. They told us if they can add us to another load they will discount the price.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #20

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quick update. We used Sawtooth Flying Service. Jo was absolutely great. Freight arrived on time and from what I hear Stanley was pretty socked in with smoke from some recent fires and they were still able to make the flight. Epic trip.

Thanks Jo!
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer