Fishing Raft on tight budget. - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2016   #21

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
The RMR storm or hyside min max are the best for your uses. I'd love to have either. I fish out of my 14ft raft by myself plenty....it's easier than fishing out of my duckies.

Fishing out of cats suck, ESPECIALLY flyfishing...I don't know why people suggest it. None of the fishing guides I know even keep one in their commercial quiver ....there's a reason EVERY commercial fishing outfit I've EVER seen fish out of rafts and driftboats.
I agree. I use to have a two man cat. Heavy, lack of room. Learn that lesson.

Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016   #22

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post

Fishing out of cats suck, ESPECIALLY flyfishing...I don't know why people suggest it. None of the fishing guides I know even keep one in their commercial quiver ....there's a reason EVERY commercial fishing outfit I've EVER seen fish out of rafts and driftboats.
Fish out of a properly rigged cat and you'll change your mind. My 14' Sotar can be rigged for solo or for two. Stable, rows much better than a raft, straddles rocks at low water and easier to dislodge when you do get stuck. Rigged solo, it weighs about 80 lbs and rows like a feather, floats really shallow too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #23

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
Whoa
I took a look at the Aire "Trib" (had to do some searching to figure out what that was). That 9'8" Tributary looks like what I am looking for. 70 pounds- check, urethane- check, 4 chambers- nice. Looks like a nice raft. I'm a novice, so now learning about fishing frames to put on it is going to be steep learning curve as well.

Sorry for the delay- Heres a few pics that I could find. The first is a
Minimax and the second is a tributary 9.5 I built for a buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	12004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	12005  

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016   #24

Westminster, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
Sorry for the delay- Heres a few pics that I could find. The first is a
Minimax and the second is a tributary 9.5 I built for a buddy.
That first photo looks like a MiniMe not the longer MiniMax that is 10.5 ft. I could be mistaken. Nice setup though.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #25

Denver, Colorado
Nope mini max. 10.5. Might look different because it's the rio bravo (Chinese factory vs Korean) version. When they first came out (believe that one was a
'10) they were made in the Chinese factory. The earliest ones (~2008?) had some qc problems the later ones were pretty good. Korean is undoubtedly better.
Old 07-22-2016   #26

Denver, Colorado
Here's what I came up with after all those little boats- super fun to r2, and row whitewater, but for fishing, I'm too fat and so are my fishing buddies. The little boats are fun when set up for white water. But with my 260# and a 200# fishing buddy (any fly-fisherman worth his salt is somewhat to grossly overweight) not so fun. While I did fish some remote rivers, 95% of the time I would have been happier in a bigger raft. One time in the San Juan I couldn't keep up with my buddies 100# wife rowing a 13' otter. We was drafting mighty low.