Old 10-16-2014   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the hard floors and built mine from skid guard blanks I bought from NRS. I cut around the valves and fit the floors tight to the raft (1" clearance all the way around) The biggest benefit is the height -makes a huge difference not only for casting distance and ease of clearing the oarsman, but for seeing the bottom structure and spotting fish. You can definitely get by without, but man they are nice.

I had a similar setup on a tributary 14 which is very similar to a sdp. While an aire floor is stable enough to stand on, I like the height the floor adds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	9039  

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #12
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I row the rivers you're looking at- I have a 14' Solar cat rigged for flyfishing. It's tough to find somebody to share the oars. Let me know if you want to share the boat sometime. I'd like to learn the N Platte

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
SkiCO - PM Sent. Ditto what Osseous said.
climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #14
Dillon, Colorado
I've got a Super Puma with a DRE frame on it, the Gunnison Frame I think? Does not have a drop floor on the front seat and just has the bench w/o the regular seat. Most people complain about the mushy front floor and I'm thinking about building my own drop floor. I think it would definitely help for the stability.
But for chucking streamers, the bench is AWESOME. You stand on it like a flats boat and you get great perspective on being able to see the streamer in the water and strikes that occur.

I fish/row all of those rivers. Always looking for more row buddies. Hit me up!
SROB34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #15
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I didn't even think about a bench for standing on, that's a good idea for streamers on flat sections. All I need is my buddy to cut the side rails and it will be good for a rower and front angler setup for now. I'll work on the back of the boat this winter. I'm not going with a platform yet and see out it does.
skico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #16
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Get as much crap off the outside of the boat as possible, lines and flies will tangle/hook into anything and everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
My buddy has that DRE frame with the big stripping basket and it is sweet for managing your line. Way less snags and hang ups. I have a much smaller DRE basket on one of my set ups and I like it too. Chiapet is right but the basket makes a big difference. I know a lot of guys that like Elkhaven's setup or something similar better. These seem to be the ones that are better casters and just prefer to stay seated. In that case all the thigh bars and stuff are in the way. I personally like to stand and I prefer a raised floor. All my floors fill the bays they are in entirely. On my Spider I have a 3/4 thigh bar with the DRE basket and on my expedition I have the NRS thigh hook. I like the hook better but will be adding a stripping basket this winter. It is always a matter of preference but an absolute consideration is your river access. All those bells and whistles get heavy and may not be worth it if you have to carry your boat at all. I also get to fish from friends boats and it seems like they all work great once I adapt to their set up.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote