Old 09-17-2012   #81
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by tango View Post
so these guys don't even know what year it is?
I didn't either. I just read the release and never noticed the date - it was the last thing on their blog. There were lots of code errors on the website too.....not that it means a lot.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #82
Snohomish, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I am Brandon (RiverDriver) from Creature Craft ( Creature Craft About Us ), and I would like to address some of the inaccuracies that users have perpetuated in these comments.
First, the Creature Craft team that recently descended the Stikine took three boats and consisted of four people. Darren Vancil (solo boat), Mark Cramer (solo boat), and Mike 'Danger' O'Reilly, and 'Paperweight' Nate Dickison (dual oar rig).
Second, many people have expressed that Creature Crafts shouldn't be counted as 'rafts'. To be fair, this is accurate, it is not a raft. It is however an inflatable boat, which is important here because while this descent might not be the FIRST full descent of the Stikine, it is absolutely the first INFLATABLE BOAT descent of that section. (one might argue that portaging Tanzilla Narrows doesn't make it a full descent, but to each their own)
Third, comparing CC's to driftwood, barrels and otherwise uncontrolled flotsam is ridiculous. The boats are highly maneuverable whether paddling or oar-framing, or a combination of the two.
Fourth, CC's very definitely flip. Sometimes, when surfing on it's side in massive hydraulics, it will even barrel roll. -On a personal note, doing full on 360 degree revolutions, backflips, frontflips and wheelies in hydraulic features the size of a school bus or a small house is incredibly awesome and cannot be readily compared to any other experience that I have found.
Fifth, the idea that because you are in a certain type of boat as you travel downriver, the classification of that section of river changes (the whole 'CC's make class 5 into class 3' thing) is ludicrous and indicates a lack of understanding of how the classification of whitewater actually works.
Finally, the team was deeply saddened by the loss of Jeff West, as they had just met him at Bell 2 and again at the put-in shortly before. The team camped above Site Zed, and while doing the scout from the hills above the rapid on the following day saw Jeff doing the portage far below. He obviously didn't have time to stop and chat, as he was trying to do the 52 mile stretch in one day. On the following day, the team found Jeff's body river left about a mile above Wolftrack, not in the eddy by camp, and summoned a rescue helicopter.
Hopefully this clears some things up.

RiverDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #83
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Thanks for the post Brandon....will there be some footage coming out soon??? Would love to see it.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #84
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Yea thanks again brandon. It is good to get it from the someone involved here on the buzz.

And super congrats!

Don't take the trash talking buzz seriously, none of us do. Especially when knuckleheads put down others like a pimply insecure high school boy just because they are doing something different.

While others may disagree i consider cc's a type of raft, but didn't mean to ignite a debate of minutia diverting the topic from the actual significance. Oh well.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #85
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
First Raft D of the Stikine

I'll go in my 16 foot Hyside if I can take my therapy dog!

Colorado Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #86
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
did some guys do a one-day years back?

i also thought Eric Boomer or someone else had recently done a solo one-day?

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #87
Nampa, Idaho
Doug Ammons did a solo in the eighties..

Boomer, Todd Wells, and the late Jeff West did a one day trip two seasons ago.

I believe that's the only solo and the only one day trip done in the past.

-Micah Kneidl
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #88
GWS, Colorado
There have been three day runs and one solo that I have heard of. I would like to think that somebody else has soloed it and not told anyone.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #89
Nampa, Idaho
I think now after thinking of it that some of the LVM guys did a single day descent as well some years back.

I believe Boomer was planning a solo run recently but it hasn't happened as of yet.

This year, Xavier Engle and Ben Luck did a spring run down the Stikine, one of the only (if not the only) spring descents I would bet.

I'm eager to see some video of this year's runs!
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #90
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You guys do know who Shitouta is? Legit.

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote