Old 09-22-2012   #111
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Anyone ever see the vid of the rafter running Condit Dam (since demolished)

The Adventure Blog: Video: Rafting Over Condit Damn
What a moron!!!

Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #112
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
My balls are not that big. But probably safer than running a bunch of class V drops in succession

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #113
Snohomish, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Wenatchee River Rafting with Creature Craft - Class 5 & 6 White Water in Tumwater Canyon - YouTube
RiverDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #114
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Sweet video. Do you have to actively roll back up when you're stuck on your side, or does th cc self correct?
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #115
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
This didn't make the Tumwater video
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1586501630.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	5180  
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #116
So. Without having to subject myself to having to read this whole thread. Have you posted any video of this? I searched Youtube for creature crafts on stikine and found nothing.
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #117
Snohomish, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I will post footage of the Stikine trip after I make it into a nice film instead of a bunch of raw footage crappily spliced together. I will post it here a week or so after the facebook page and youtube.
RiverDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #118
San Alfonso, Cajon del Maipo, Chile
Paddling Since: 1972
The first raft descent of the Stikine was in 1985

Hi All. Just to update your knowledge base... the Grand Canyon of the Stikine was run in an inflatable in 1985. There is a documentary of the joint raft/kayak descent that was filmed by a helicopter supported Canadian and British film crew. It was done in an 18 ft Sotar (one of the first built) by a 7 person paddle team from California and Oregon. The raft completed about 70% of the canyon before the trip was aborted... a couple of the team members had had enough, and the film crew had all the footage they wanted and was running short of money so pulled the plug on the helicopter (the raft team was dependent on the helicopter to move them back and forth to a base camp set up at site Zed). The kayakers continued on to finish the canyon. This was the first (and only) decent of the canyon by conventional raft, the first descent by women, the second descent of the Stikine by kayak, and the first complete descent of the entire canyon by kayak except for the rapid at site Zed. The paddle team included Pete Fox, Dan Bolster, Steve , Beth Rypins, Peggy Linsay, Mark Kosina, and Joe Willie Jones - the kayakers were Rob Lesser, Lars Holbek and Bob MacDougall.

Congrats to the Creature Craft crew.... but you were late by 27 years. Either way, anyone who runs the Stikine has my respect. It is one of the most magnificent and toughest whitewater rivers on the planet. A true gem.

Joe Willie Jones
chilewillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #119
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nah, you don't get to claim bagging everest unless you get to the peak, not just because you tried and only got part way (otherwise known as failure which sounds way too harsh for such an effort and accomplishment that even descending part takes and is) and thus a first descent requires completion. They may have had the first attempt 27 years ago, but that's much different than claiming first descent.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #120
San Alfonso, Cajon del Maipo, Chile
Paddling Since: 1972
Hi lhowemt - by your way of thinking then the Stikine has only been run once - by Ben Marr. I guess the CC boys will have to go back and run the Tanzilla Slot before they can claim a descent in your eyes ( incidentally our crew actually ran the Slot). Rivers are not mountains my friend, and I'll be happy to listen to your opinion with more interest when you've run the Stikine in a conventional raft yourself. The best in the world portage and portage often... it is part of the game and doesn't negate an accomplishment like a Stikine descent. My point in writing this was just to put the history of descents in order - nobody 'bags' the Stikine. Just to clarify - my term 'abort' describes the fact that we were forced by the film crew to leapfrog (heli portage) over the final section of the river and put back in above Tanzilla for filming. Sorry we didn't measure up to your standards.

Joe Willie

chilewillie is offline   Reply With Quote