Old 09-18-2012   #91
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
'Third, comparing CC's to driftwood, barrels and otherwise uncontrolled flotsam is ridiculous. The boats are highly maneuverable whether paddling or oar-framing, or a combination of the two.'

This I will disagree with. As evidence for my position, I offer every video ever made of CC. Although I have to admit that I look forward to video of CC floating in there at 50-100,000cfs. That has to be the progression of the CC.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #92
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Don't get it.

Why the hell do so many people care how impressed anyone else is or isn't with a run in a Creature Craft?
That is a rhetorical question, and not an attempt to push this thread to 100 comments.

swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #93
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
What's it matter they are running rivers who gives a shit
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #94
Atlantis, .
cosurfgod - I know who Shitouta is, and he is very legit. Also, I believe that Boomer has done a solo run and know that Ben Luck and Xavier Engle did THREE runs of the Stikine this year including a day run. Okay, now that that's out of the way let's continue talking shit about creature crafters.

Also, turns out that sometimes people do rivers without posting about it on the internet. Or even getting Go-pro footage! I am almost positive there's been more.
The_Jackal_Of_Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #95
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by The_Jackal_Of_Gnar View Post
Also, turns out that sometimes people do rivers without posting about it on the internet. Or even getting Go-pro footage! I am almost positive there's been more.
Yeah, the thirty second descent isn't that interesting, really.

Back to this first descent in an INFLATABLE. More interesting info, posted by Ted Day over on Idaho:

I talked to Mark last week on his way back from the Stikine. Let there be no doubt, this was an accomplishment of extreme proportions. Mark says it was beyond comparison with anything he's seen and done, and given the fact he's done the Susitna and Turnback Canyon, not to mention Tumwater Canyon at 10,000 cfs, this is really saying something. He also said it pushed the envelope even for the CC's. There was a ton of skill required to avoid terminal features, like holes with no possibility for escape and pocketed traps against cliff walls. Site Zed required 5 "do or die" moves, one of which was missed and required deployment of a sea anchor bag that was just barely enough to make the difference in getting out of the hole. Mark also stated it was basically divine intervention that he flipped where he did and aborted his solo cataraft attempt a few years back, it is not cataraftable and he likely would have drowned. He put survival odds of a swim at about 1 in 3.

Folks can bash all they want, but all I'll be saying is "Huge Congratulations".
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #96
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Until you have run the Stikine in any craft you have no grounds to downplay this accomplishment. Although I will likely never run it I am certainly aware of the difficulty. Following a kayak team from Durango on their spot right now and so far so good.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #97
Not sure of the specifics but Mark Kocinas rowed major portions of the stikine before I knew him in the 95. I think it was for NBC American sportsman or something. He had heli support that would portage for him. But I think this goes along with my long held belief that claiming a first D is a shady deal because no matter what some old crazy fuck like Jimmie Holcombe ran it in the 70's by himself in a grumman.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #98
Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
the creature craft dilemma

I've followed this thread with a mixture of emotions for the last few days and have decided to post in order to begin healing the emotional wound inflicted by learning that people riding creature crafts have just summited the mount everest of expedition kayaking. Several profound questions about the sport are suggested by this news.

Can the creature craft run gnarlier shit than a kayak?

The answer to this seems to be yes. Given how young creature crafting is and how much cutting edge stuff has already been paddled, the creature craft is on track to eclipse the whitewater achievements of the kayak. I'm sure a no-portage descent of the Tsangpo gorge is imminent. Can a creature craft handle a low-volume steep creek though or does it have to wait for the creek to flood? I don't know. I feel confident that a creature craft will run the Crystal gorge in the next couple years. How high a vertical drop can a creature craft handle before the people strapped into it start to break bones? Creature crafts will run Spirit Falls all day but Metlako?

Is it time to stop kayaking and take up creature crafting?

Unless you have to hike in, I think it is.

Can kayaking still be "extreme"?

Creature crafts seem to reduce the barrier to entry for paddling "extreme" rapids (why not take the GF with you down Big Timber?). If two bros can tie their ladies in and take em over Big Falls then what's so hard about the MF Kings?

Is the creature craft suitable for expedition-style rivers?

Time will tell. Pre-charged self-inflating creature crafts that can be stuffed into a backpack? Why not?

Will a creature craft ever get a first descent?

As long as the answer remains no kayaking can still be extreme.
dinsdalw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #99
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
"That's more queer than a $3 bill!" This explains the rainbows and unicorns on the back of the $3 bills I've seen.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #100
Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted by dinsdalw View Post
I'm sure a no-portage descent of the Tsangpo gorge is imminent.

Creature crafts will run Spirit Falls all day but Metlako?
Let me get this straight: 100 foot Metlako, run at a few hundred CFS is not likely, but the 10,000 cfs 100 footer in the Tsang Po Gorge is a gimme?

This is one of the better buzz troll posts I've seen in a long while!!

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote