Old 05-15-2014   #1
denver, Colorado
First Multi-Day - 5/23-26 - Green River

Bought a raft this winter and am doing my first multi-day next weekend. We are putting in Friday afternoon at the top of Section B and taking out either Monday morning or Sunday night at the bottom of C.

Can you all help me with what I need?

This was the info I got with my email for reserving the site:
Watercraft are required to carry:
  • Bail Bucket
  • Throw Line
  • Spare Oar
  • Lifejacket
  • Portable Toilet System(if camping overnight)
The Forest Service requires the use of portable toilet systems for all campers. These toilets must be sealable, flushable, and reusable. Bag-lined systems are not allowed.

I have lifejackets, spare oar and throw line. Do I need a bail bucket for a SB raft? Also, what is the most reasonably priced option for a groover that meets these requirements and how much capacity do I need? No peeing, 4 guys, 3 girls in multiple craft.

The help would be very much appreciated.

gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #2
You donít need a bail bucket then, and donít forget a patch kit thatís suitable for your type of raft material. Surprised they also didnít mention a firepan and first aid kit, those are also pretty standard requirements, as well as a spare lifejacket.

Cheapest groover is probably just that, an ammo can. Some folks just use a 5 gal bucket with a gamma seal too. Generally you figure one use per person per day times the number of days to get your needed capacity. An Eco-safe that fits in a rocket box for example is rated for 50 uses, so thatís also about what you would get from a straight groover setup. If you are bagging and burning TP though it might be higher.

On the other hand, if this is the start of something you are planning to do, you might want to just do it now and get something like an Eco-safe. For $200 youíll know itís accepted everywhere without question and youíll have it forever. They also make nice seat setups for straight rocket boxes too that would be good.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
PM sent. Pretty much what Osprey posted. Let us know how the trip goes.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #4
denver, Colorado
Thanks guys. I reserved one locally and am gonna go buy a eco safe system for the $200. Sucks though, it seems like I also need to buy 2 rocket boxes. I guess keeping the TP dry will be good and if someone gets something on that seat, having a place for it is also good.

The camp sites have fire rings, which is why I am guess no pan required. Carrying firewood though seems like a pain, but the girls are gonna want a fire. Good call on the patch kit. Thanks for the PM Cata.
Old 05-15-2014   #5
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
You can rent a toilet system, check the following companies around Denver:

Boulder outdoor center
White water tube co
Golden river sports

Having good equipment may be worth your time.

Also some of the campsites can be reserved on the FS website may want to reserve something before you drive all the way up there. The rest can be signed up at the boat ramp at the top of B.

Have fun!
Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Check with ranger if you want to take out at Lodore ranger station/boat ramp, I think you need a permit (easy to get, just ask for it).
B section is reserved camping, sign up at "b" boat ramp day before and it is a pay to camp section.
At red creek rapids I recommend Going left of Island. Right is possible if your real good on the oars.
I apologize for the unsolicited advise, but have seen boats hung up on rocks down the right channel.
Enjoy the trip, I do sections a-c every year just for the pure fun of it. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #7
denver, Colorado
Thanks. I don't mind the advice at all. Wont we be taking out at Swinging Bridge? I though B & C were no permit?
Old 05-15-2014   #8
Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
Dish washing station with 4 tubs. (rinse, soap, rinse, bleach) A strainer to catch all remaining food particles that goes in the trash. A big pot to boil water is handy. Cook stove, and place setting for all people.
The list COULD go on and on but if you are eating on the river this a must have.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #9
salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
no need for permit in a-c sections. Several camps just below little hole (b put in), like bighorn said, sign up on the board. a nice camp on river right just after red creek with a bathroom (quite nice actually, was there a few weeks ago). Fishing should be good too.
Meichorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #10
denver, Colorado
I was looking at shuttles, is it really $200 a car for Little Hole to the bottom of C section?

How long is the drive each way if we were to run our own shuttle? Thx